UV coil bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I have the Zilla 13 watt coil UVA/UVB coil bulb. I heard that it can damage a reptiles eyes, is this true for all brands? Or specific ones?

I was also wondering about humid hides. When I mist my tortoises enclosure, I don't do the hide, so is this considered a humid hide? The humidity only stays around 30-40%.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Although they say they have been fixed, people are still having problems. Why chance it. Don't use them. Even the ones sold for house hold use are dangerous for some humans.

Minority1

5 Year Member
U-shapes and spiral coils were both known to pose problems for tortoises. Stick with MVB's or UV linear bulbs. Saving 10 to 20 bucks per bulb is not worth potentially hurting your tortoise.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I looked at the links, so are humid hides more for new hatched tortoises? Because they seem to be the focus, or is it good to have a humid hide for juveniles and adult tortoises as well?[/align]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Offering a warm humid hide to any age, sex or species is always a good idea in my opinion. This offers them a micro climate option that is usually available in the wild, but sadly absent from our captive environments. Humid hides help with hydration and shell growth in any age tortoise.

Do NOT allow any tortoise to be cool and humid at the same time.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
So about the light, I found this new light, it's the Zoo Med Repti Sun 5.0 Fluorescent Lamp. Is this one of those strip light bulbs? I'm not sure, the Petco website doesn't give any direction towards how to use, or how long it is. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These are the tube types and they are safe to use, but there is debate whether or not they are effective as a SOLE source of UV. If your tortoise gets occasional sun, I think these are great. They are just an over all good way to light up the enclosure too.

They come in lengths from 18"-48" to suit your needs.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
So I was reading they reach up to 20" with UVB radiation, does this mean the bulb should be at least twenty inches above the bottom of the enclosure? Or would it be okay to have it lower? It was kin of unclear in the description.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those kind can go closer. The farther way, the uv will be decreased. It believe a 12inch space between tort and light is sufficient. Usually, they will tell you how close they recommend to put them on that package.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The Reptisun tube bulbs are are very good at providing the necessary UV lighting. I have been using these bulbs for about 15 years for a variety of reptiles including tortoises. I mainly use the 5.0 bulbs but ocassionly will use a 10.0 depending on the type of reptile and the distance the I need the UV to travel.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
So I found this other bulb, I couldn't find out what fixture the Repti sun went with, and Petco sells the bulb, but not the fixture intended for it. So I found this "Zilla Desert UV T8 Terrarium Strip Light Fixture". It comes with the T8 bulb, and says it's good for Russian tortoises. But I was wondering, does it provide UVA along with UVB? It brags all about the UVB but mentions nothing about UVA, or is it implied if there is UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.