Answer Quickly Please! (mixing species)

Status
Not open for further replies.

furandscales

5 Year Member
Can a russian tortoise and Greek tortoise live in the same enclosure together?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
RE: Answer Quickly Please!

No......you should never mix species together. Others have different answers...look up keeping different species.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Hi and welcome! CAN they live together, the simple and answer is yes. SHOULD they, no in my opinion mixing species is not good. Are you thinking of adding a tortoise to your current one? If so, you would still need a second enclosure atleast for a quarantine period.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

In my opinion different species of tortoise should not live together in the same habitat.

Something else to think about is the fact that male tortoises fight...sometimes to the death. If you get two male tortoises you will end up with two habitats anyway. And if you have a male and a female, you will have the male pestering the female continuously and end up having two habitats.

furandscales

5 Year Member
My cousin has a female and a male together. And the tortoise I want I'm not sure if its male or female. I haven't checked

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
There is no legitimate reason for mixing two tortoise species together in captivity. There are many good reasons for keeping them separate.

Why take the risk?

furandscales

5 Year Member
Yah. I agree. Just if so I was gonna get this Greek tortoise that I felt bad for. But I didn't want to spend like 1000 dollars on it. I can't afford that right now:) thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.