Any advise???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What site are you looking at? If you are getting vet instructions by all means DO EXACTLY WHAT THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY and tell me to kick rocks....LOL :D

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
lol ill got tomorrow to vet, but like i looked up turtle shell puncture and stuff like that, all said keep it dry

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Right, my only concern would be that it is an internal organ which is usually in a moist state, you know what I mean? You are there though and it is your little turtle and you are the final choice maker so do what is as right to you, you know what I mean....I know that if a prolapse occurs you should keep it clean and moist...?

I have never had to deal with this type of situation before, so I would be winging it just as you are, you know?

So in this particular situation I am going strictly by what my gut is saying and not direct experience...:)

I am so sorry that you and your little one have to go through this mess...

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
thx for the concern, idk but if hes not improving withina week or two, i feel like it would be more humane to put him down  hopefully he does well cuz i really dont wanna have to do that

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm no vet, but if internal organs are protruding from the shell the blood supply to them will be pinched off and the organs will die and rot within hours. A punture should be kept dry, but protruding organs need to be kept damp, preferably with a balanced veterinary saline solution. This is an emergency situation. There is a really good reptile vet just up the 110 and exit west on Rosecrans. Can't remember the name, but I think they are a 24 hour clinic. Its only a 15-20 minute drive for you. I doubt this little guy will make it through the night if you don't find an emergency reptile vet. Good luck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Were you able to get into a vet? How is the little guy doing? Hope the poor little thing is okay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The first thing you need to do is not blame the dog. The dog was just being a dog. It was YOUR responsibility to keep your turtle safe. I say this to you as someone who has also failed and made mistakes. I do not think I'm better than you or anyone else, and I know how you feel right now, because I have been there. It sucks and I have a really hard time letting go of it and forgiving myself for stupid mistakes. You will get past this, but you SHOULD feel bad for a while. Learn form it. Share it with others, so they don't make the same mistake.

I'm wishing you, your turtle AND your dog the best.

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
Tom said:
The first thing you need to do is not blame the dog. The dog was just being a dog. It was YOUR responsibility to keep your turtle safe. I say this to you as someone who has also failed and made mistakes. I do not think I'm better than you or anyone else, and I know how you feel right now, because I have been there. It sucks and I have a really hard time letting go of it and forgiving myself for stupid mistakes. You will get past this, but you SHOULD feel bad for a while. Learn form it. Share it with others, so they don't make the same mistake.

um i would have no problem taking the blame, my grandma let the dog go up to it when i told everyone not to let the dog out

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Not to heap blame or responsibility, but don't blame the dog. That is what dogs do. I say this not to make you upset or anything but it is your responsibility to keep your turtles and tortoises safe from your dog to the best of your ability. I hope the little guy makes it through the night so you can see a vet.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I hope you will keep us updated whether the outcome is good or bad.

jonathan512

5 Year Member
Tom said:

i think he knows its his responsibility , mistakes happen and u cant predict everything but i think ur just throwing salt on his wounds ik your trying to give good advice but that kind of stuff isnt really what i would wanna hear if i lost one of my lil guys .thats just me though im not trying to sound like an A-hole lol ,but that kind of stuff would just upset me a tid bit more XD im sure he does feel bad and he's learning from it

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
jonathan512 said:
i think he knows its his responsibility , mistakes happen and u cant predict everything but i think ur just throwing salt on his wounds ik your trying to give good advice but that kind of stuff isnt really what i would wanna hear if i lost one of my lil guys .thats just me though im not trying to sound like an A-hole lol ,but that kind of stuff would just upset me a tid bit more XD im sure he does feel bad and he's learning from it

thx man, btw im only 13 guys i appriciate the help but ur kinda upsetting

jonathan512

5 Year Member
Turtleswagg said:
jonathan512 said:

thx man, btw im only 13 guys i appriciate the help but ur kinda upsetting

np ik its hard and i wish there was something i could say to make it better but there aint , just gotta keep on truckin and hope for the best ik this sux bud just gotta hope for the best and give it time :(

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
jonathan512 said:
np ik its hard and i wish there was something i could say to make it better but there aint , just gotta keep on truckin and hope for the best ik this sux bud just gotta hope for the best and give it time :(

yea gotcha thx

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Not really, he said 'damn dog' and ppl are trying to advise him not to blame the dog. Accidents happens and it's not wise to blame anything/anyone. Just hope victim can get fixed and recover ASAP. Good luck and don't blame yourself either.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I hope all is moving along well for you and your baby turtle....please please let us know the progress....

**by the way folks, how many times have we had a dog eat a pair of shoes or do some other thing that can not be changed and we say out of a moment of frustration "damn dog!!" also, in this case this person was not the one that brought the dog and turtle together.....

Wow people are pretty rough on here...

I agree that there has been a moment of less than sensitivity by some in this particular instance....no matter if the member is 13 or 33....come on now folks, have a moment of empathy for this member....it is not as though he tossed the turtle to the dog!!!!! Wow, is right.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am so sorry.:( do you think a second opinion is needed? Don't take anyone's advice badly. No one here is trying to make you feel bad. Just to understand that stuff does happen, and there nothing we can do about it but learn. Again, I am so sorry. Maybe he/she will pull through anyway. Keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.