Status
Not open for further replies.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Turtleswagg said:
the vet said they cant do anything

I would ask them to refer you to a vet that can, and if they can't call each vet office around until you get someone that can help. Turtles are resilient, and can heal from some of the most amazing injuries. There has to be someone who can help in your area.

But, if it were me and I had no other option I would:

Use chlorhexidine (nolvasan) to clean the turtle's wound. Use peroxide to clean the instruments that I use to 'work' on it, but not peroxide on the turtle itself, because it can hurt the good tissue. Things that I have in my emergency turtle box are tweezers, gauze, q-tips, honey, clean wash cloths, and a biology dissection kit. I would make sure there is no broken shell pieces left sticking inside the body, or just hanging on to the outside scraping the intestine, then i would try to push (VERY GENTLY) as much of the intestine back inside, using sterile lubricant or honey or distilled/filtered water to keep it moist while trying to slide it back into place, being careful not to poke anything inside or cause more damage to the area. Then if you can get it all back in, i would use some gauze pads soaked in honey to "pack" the hole with, and cover with a bandaid, and change it daily. The site should leak fluids, usually clear or light yellowish as it heals, and the honey will help with inflammation and keep bacteria from growing. This will probably take several months. Honey is ok to get on the intestine & internal organs, it won't hurt them, I wouldn't squirt it inside the shell, but soaking gauze in it then placing directly on the injury. As for water goes, I would dry dock the turtle while there is a visible hole in the shell, meaning that he is not submersed in water while he is healing, but instead gets daily 10 minute soaks just before you take off the bandage and change it. You have to do it daily to keep him hydrated. I would also keep him warm, but not directly under a heat lamp, because he could overheat. I find that a black lite on a table lamp(the desk clamp kind, $10 at walmart) works good for this & you can raise and lower the level of the heat. Keep a daily log of what you do, how the injury looks, and how the turtle is behaving-eating, defecating (pooing), etc. And I would still try to find a vet in the meantime. Notes like this are INVALUABLE to your vet.

There may be other ways of handling this, but this is what my first instincts tell me to do. Good luck, and I hope your little turtle gets better.

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
wellington said:
I am so sorry.:( do you think a second opinion is needed? Don't take anyone's advice badly. No one here is trying to make you feel bad. Just to understand that stuff does happen, and there nothing we can do about it but learn. Again, I am so sorry. Maybe he/she will pull through anyway. Keep us updated.

thanks n i will

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
zesty_17 said:
Turtleswagg said:
the vet said they cant do anything

I would ask them to refer you to a vet that can, and if they can't call each vet office around until you get someone that can help. Turtles are resilient, and can heal from some of the most amazing injuries. There has to be someone who can help in your area.

But, if it were me and I had no other option I would:

Use chlorhexidine (nolvasan) to clean the turtle's wound. Use peroxide to clean the instruments that I use to 'work' on it, but not peroxide on the turtle itself, because it can hurt the good tissue. Things that I have in my emergency turtle box are tweezers, gauze, q-tips, honey, clean wash cloths, and a biology dissection kit. I would make sure there is no broken shell pieces left sticking inside the body, or just hanging on to the outside scraping the intestine, then i would try to push (VERY GENTLY) as much of the intestine back inside, using sterile lubricant or honey or distilled/filtered water to keep it moist while trying to slide it back into place, being careful not to poke anything inside or cause more damage to the area. Then if you can get it all back in, i would use some gauze pads soaked in honey to "pack" the hole with, and cover with a bandaid, and change it daily. The site should leak fluids, usually clear or light yellowish as it heals, and the honey will help with inflammation and keep bacteria from growing. This will probably take several months. Honey is ok to get on the intestine & internal organs, it won't hurt them, I wouldn't squirt it inside the shell, but soaking gauze in it then placing directly on the injury. As for water goes, I would dry dock the turtle while there is a visible hole in the shell, meaning that he is not submersed in water while he is healing, but instead gets daily 10 minute soaks just before you take off the bandage and change it. You have to do it daily to keep him hydrated. I would also keep him warm, but not directly under a heat lamp, because he could overheat. I find that a black lite on a table lamp(the desk clamp kind, $10 at walmart) works good for this & you can raise and lower the level of the heat. Keep a daily log of what you do, how the injury looks, and how the turtle is behaving-eating, defecating (pooing), etc. And I would still try to find a vet in the meantime. Notes like this are INVALUABLE to your vet.

There may be other ways of handling this, but this is what my first instincts tell me to do. Good luck, and I hope your little turtle gets better.

*forgot to say, you can buy chlorhexidine at walgreens or cvs for about $4, it comes in a blue bottle, and is usually a thick liquid that is red or blue. You can use it diluted in a spray bottle, or on q-tips to clean. It is what doctors use to disinfect people and surgical instruments.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am going with Zesty on this....Zesty is absolutely correct and this was my gut feeling last night as well..however there was the hope that you would be able to get some aid from the vet??? I also would try to call around to reptile vets and ask away--try speaking with actual vet and not only the person that answers the phone.....You can also call to your local turtle rescue group and plead with them to offer you their advise as well....

When left to your own resources you will need to do something....I bet you can enlist your Mother (they are great at this type of stuff if you plead :D ) to help you out with the process if you need a second set of hands and moral support :D:D:D

Please keep us in the loop on his progress :D

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
ascott said:
I am going with Zesty on this....Zesty is absolutely correct and this was my gut feeling last night as well..however there was the hope that you would be able to get some aid from the vet??? I also would try to call around to reptile vets and ask away--try speaking with actual vet and not only the person that answers the phone.....You can also call to your local turtle rescue group and plead with them to offer you their advise as well....

When left to your own resources you will need to do something....I bet you can enlist your Mother (they are great at this type of stuff if you plead :D ) to help you out with the process if you need a second set of hands and moral support :D:D:D

Please keep us in the loop on his progress :D

we called a different vet and hes goin there. i tried to fix him but i couldnt do it, it would go back in with gentle force so i quite it before he got even more injured. my moms helpin me wit this, n ill keep u guys in the loop haha

bubbles01 said:
You and your little one are in my thoughts and prayers. x x x x

thanks for the support, he survived last night and right now hes pretty active so i gotta feeling hes gonna make it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am so so sorry. The poor little thing. At least he is not suffering. You did everything you could for the little bugger. It just wasn't meant to be. Hope you are okay. It is sad, and don't forget we all here understand.

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
wellington said:
I am so so sorry. The poor little thing. At least he is not suffering. You did everything you could for the little bugger. It just wasn't meant to be. Hope you are okay. It is sad, and don't forget we all here understand.

thx

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Turtleswagg said:
they put him down 

It's always hard when you think something's going to get better and it doesn't :( I'm sorry for your loss, hopefully your doing okay.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
I'm sorry, that's sucks when things happen like this. At least they did what was best for the turtle, but I know that's not easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.