Any one keeping a Sulcata in the uk ?

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
I live in the north east and we get some harsh winters, I've been thinking about a Sulcata set up, however I'm concerned at how big a enclosure should be if the tortoise is not able to go outside for months at a time ? And would the tortoise be happy not venturing out all winter, or do they go out providing the temps are ok in there enclosure, I currently have a marginated Tortoise and I'll not be getting another one for a couple of years or so just considering my options at the moment thanks

Kane UK

Hi I have a sully I'm down in suffolk. Mines a year old and I have him in a closed chamber enclosure around 8' by 5' ambient around 80 basking at 105 and warm end 90. I'm going ot be building a shed for him I'm the next month or two from info I got on here!

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
When he's fully grown will he remain in his enclosure in the winter or will he wander in and out

Nibs

Hi I have a sully I'm down in suffolk. Mines a year old and I have him in a closed chamber enclosure around 8' by 5' ambient around 80 basking at 105 and warm end 90. I'm going ot be building a shed for him I'm the next month or two from info I got on here!

Hello Kane - I'm a Sulcata owner based in Suffolk too so thought I'd say hi :)

Nibs

When he's fully grown will he remain in his enclosure in the winter or will he wander in and out

I use my garage (which is fully insulated) for helping with this - so they have closed chambers in the garage for their actual enclosure, then have the garage to wander about in for exercise in the day if they want, and have the ability to wander into the garden - but I do regulate access there a little, as mine are only three and I haven't found yet that they are sensible enough to go inside when they are getting cold, they tend instead to find a corner of the garden and sit there..... so when it is cold, I close them inside just in case. I'm hoping as they get older they will get a bit better at self regulating!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Are you actually building the shed or will you start out with a bought and tailor it to your needs ?

Last edited:

Barrysulcata

Uk
Hi there I have Barry the Sulcata in the uk in Wales
He's 11 years old and 37 lb
I've only had him couple of weeks
He's settled in well my brother also as one in uk and he's 23 years old and 97 lb and he's had him from baby
Thanks tim

Barrysulcata

Uk
Hi I have is box in a shed
Box is 4 ft x 2. 1/2 depth x 2 1/2 high I think lol
It's got two 150 watt heat lamps on thermostat one end then he's got day tub across back which is on 14 hours a day then is opening as plastic strips on like cooler rooms to contain heat then he comes down small ramp it area in larger shed on this opening he as more plastic strips on door to keep in hat when main door is open then he can come out in compound when he likes then when we're out side and it's nice I open gate and he can come out into garden
Thanks tim

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi, I'm just south of Cambridge. I have a tiny sulcata. We were told he/she was a this year's baby but the vet thought about 18 months! He is not growing and I'm not sure what to do. He is in a big tortoise table with warm and cool areas and soaked everyday. He won't eat grass but likes dandelions, rose leaves and dead nettle. I tried red lettuce but he wasn't interested. What can I try next?

Jamie827

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hi, I'm just south of Cambridge. I have a tiny sulcata. We were told he/she was a this year's baby but the vet thought about 18 months! He is not growing and I'm not sure what to do. He is in a big tortoise table with warm and cool areas and soaked everyday. He won't eat grass but likes dandelions, rose leaves and dead nettle. I tried red lettuce but he wasn't interested. What can I try next?

Hi well I wouldn’t keep a sulcata hatchling In an open top table - it’s maybe best looking into getting a vivarium as it will keep the humidity and heat in which is what they need when so young.

Also try changing your UVB strip light and every 6 months and get a ceramic heater
I leave mine on full during the day and turn it down to 24 at night... I have a vivarium which is 6ft x3ft x2ft high so large but have two sulcata which are only 1year old but growing at a healthy rate
Also try feeding kale- romaine lettuce- hisbiscus and grasses and hays rather then weeds

They are fussy eaters when you first introduce grasses and hays into their diet but I would definitely think about changing their environment and see if that helps