Any one keeping a Sulcata in the uk ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from Kent UK

The diet of Sulcatas is very similar to that of the smaller Testudo: Weedy and leafy greens.

Your tortoise cannot digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - so sweet foods like fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

You should start introducing grass to the diet by snipping a tiny amount up small with scissors and sprinkling it on wet food then gradually increasing the amount over time.

Write a list of the plants that grow around you and those that you can buy and look them up online on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed.

If you can’t identify a plant then post a photo in our Plant ID forum and someone will help you.

Problems with activity, including eating, are usually caused by stress such as a new home or by temperatures being wrong. Double check the temperatures in the enclosure if you have a problem.

Sulcatas will grow rapidly into a 100lb+ (50kg+) bulldozer. They don’t stay small long and they cannot hibernate. They need a large and strong outside enclosure after the first couple of years and will need special heated accommodation to get them through the winter and cooler nights.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

For those that have a young Sulcata (contains a food list)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

We are happy to look over photos of your enclosure and lighting to see if there are any improvements we recommend. We love pictures of tortoises anyway. :)

Sulcatas are territorial; they’re one of the scrappiest species. They don’t get lonely or need a friend. Regardless of gender, pairs don’t do well. They see another tortoise only as a rival for food and space. One is always dominant and the subordinate one becomes stressed; a stressed tortoise gets sick. Groups of 3 or more torts of a similar size may be OK in a very large enclosure with plenty of sight barriers, but there are no guarantees.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hello and welcome from Kent UK

The diet of Sulcatas is very similar to that of the smaller Testudo: Weedy and leafy greens.

Your tortoise cannot digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - so sweet foods like fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

You should start introducing grass to the diet by snipping a tiny amount up small with scissors and sprinkling it on wet food then gradually increasing the amount over time.

Write a list of the plants that grow around you and those that you can buy and look them up online on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed.

If you can’t identify a plant then post a photo in our Plant ID forum and someone will help you.

Problems with activity, including eating, are usually caused by stress such as a new home or by temperatures being wrong. Double check the temperatures in the enclosure if you have a problem.

Sulcatas will grow rapidly into a 100lb+ (50kg+) bulldozer. They don’t stay small long and they cannot hibernate. They need a large and strong outside enclosure after the first couple of years and will need special heated accommodation to get them through the winter and cooler nights.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

For those that have a young Sulcata (contains a food list)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

We are happy to look over photos of your enclosure and lighting to see if there are any improvements we recommend. We love pictures of tortoises anyway. :)

Sulcatas are territorial; they’re one of the scrappiest species. They don’t get lonely or need a friend. Regardless of gender, pairs don’t do well. They see another tortoise only as a rival for food and space. One is always dominant and the subordinate one becomes stressed; a stressed tortoise gets sick. Groups of 3 or more torts of a similar size may be OK in a very large enclosure with plenty of sight barriers, but there are no guarantees.

Thank you. I have got the list of foods that he can eat. I've had European tortoises for many years. Only had the sulcata for 5 months. I do have an enclosed moist area for him too. I'll try covering the table more to make it all more humid and soak him twice a day. I tried kale today but he wasn't interested. Hopefully he'll be growing soon. The vet said he was very healthy just to give him more calcium, so I do that twice a week.
Thank you all for your advice.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you. I have got the list of foods that he can eat. I've had European tortoises for many years. Only had the sulcata for 5 months. I do have an enclosed moist area for him too. I'll try covering the table more to make it all more humid and soak him twice a day. I tried kale today but he wasn't interested. Hopefully he'll be growing soon. The vet said he was very healthy just to give him more calcium, so I do that twice a week.
Thank you all for your advice.
A tiny sprinkle of calcium sprinkled very sparsely on food three times a week is sufficient. You can overdo it - an overdose inhibits the uptake of other minerals. Also, torts seem very good at detecting the powder and refusing to eat it, so a tiny amount spread as sparsely as possible has other advantages :D

Introducing new foods needs to be done slowly. They are stubborn, know what they like and they like what they know.

To introduce a new food take it very slowly. Chop a tiny amount very small, wet the other food and mix it together. The water will stick it together and make it hard for your tort to pick out only what it likes.

Very gradually increase the quantity of new food over weeks rather than days and your tort will accept it. If your tort goes on hunger strike a daily 30 minute soak is essential. Your tort can go a long time without food, but not without water.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
A tiny sprinkle of calcium sprinkled very sparsely on food three times a week is sufficient. You can overdo it - an overdose inhibits the uptake of other minerals. Also, torts seem very good at detecting the powder and refusing to eat it, so a tiny amount spread as sparsely as possible has other advantages :D

Introducing new foods needs to be done slowly. They are stubborn, know what they like and they like what they know.

To introduce a new food take it very slowly. Chop a tiny amount very small, wet the other food and mix it together. The water will stick it together and make it hard for your tort to pick out only what it likes.

Very gradually increase the quantity of new food over weeks rather than days and your tort will accept it. If your tort goes on hunger strike a daily 30 minute soak is essential. Your tort can go a long time without food, but not without water.

Thank you again. I've been trying to find something he'll eat other than dandelions as the weather means they won't be around much longer here! I soak once a day for 30 minutes, I'll up that and cover the enclosure. I'll also be more patient with introducing new foods

Jamie827

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thank you. I have a uva/uvb spot which is on all day and a ceramic heater on all the time. Temperature varies from 25 to 20 across the table. He often chooses the cooler areas.
How big/heavy are your lovely babies?

Your temperatures are too cold- a young sulcata tortoise needs to be in a humid hide such as a vivarium where you can keep the heat in and also keep humidity levels up whereas in a tortoise table the heat just escapes

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your temperatures are too cold- a young sulcata tortoise needs to be in a humid hide such as a vivarium where you can keep the heat in and also keep humidity levels up whereas in a tortoise table the heat just escapes

I didn’t spot that...

35-37C (95-100F) directly under the basking lamp.
For babies, no less than 27C (80F) anywhere in the enclosure day or night.

You will probably need a Ceramic Heat Emitter and thermostat in the closed chamber to achieve this

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club

Thank you. I'm going to get a vivarium for him tomorrow. I had read that they weren't suitable for tortoises but I now realise that's wrong. Hopefully he will be happier tomorrow. Thanks again.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you. I'm going to get a vivarium for him tomorrow. I had read that they weren't suitable for tortoises but I now realise that's wrong. Hopefully he will be happier tomorrow. Thanks again.

Get the one with the biggest floor area you can. And think hard about whether it will take the lights you need before you buy it. If in doubt, photograph it and take measurements then ask us!

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Get the one with the biggest floor area you can. And think hard about whether it will take the lights you need before you buy it. If in doubt, photograph it and take measurements then ask us!

Will do. Thank you.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is this one any good? Thank you
Screenshot_20171110-091333.jpg

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Will do. Thank you.
I've got a 4 foot vivarium and we are setting it up this afternoon. I've covered the table in the mean time and got the temperature up and the humidity. Hopefully all will be well soon.
Thank you for all your help.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I've got a 4 foot vivarium and we are setting it up this afternoon. I've covered the table in the mean time and got the temperature up and the humidity. Hopefully all will be well soon.
Thank you for all your help.

Hi

Sorry I didn’t get back to you. I have been unwell today and slept most of the day.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Same here. I didn’t sleep much last night due to the cough... hence spending the day dozing. Let’s hope we both recover quickly :)
Well Goliath (who will hopefully live up to his name one day!) is now happily in his new home and looking much more lively and eating much better. Thank you so much for all your advice. I'd send a photo but that seems to be disabled for now.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well Goliath (who will hopefully live up to his name one day!) is now happily in his new home and looking much more lively and eating much better. Thank you so much for all your advice. I'd send a photo but that seems to be disabled for now.

The android app is also unwell. If you log into the site through your browser photo upload should work

https://tortoiseforum.org/

I’m glad things are looking up :)

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Goliath is now growing well and had more than doubled in weight. He likes his daily baths and is eating loads. He has started to eat his cuttlefish, does he still need supplement calcium as well? I don't want to over dose.
Thank you[emoji4]IMG-20180127-WA0003.jpg