Any russian owners that keep outdoors in virginia?

Eric.r.lynn1991

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
So I've got two Russian males about a year ago and I have both indoor and outdoor enclosures for them. I try to keep them outside as much as I can but now that it's cooling down I was wondering at what night time temps should I bring them in. I see multiple ranges from multiple sites however my guys only have hides with the red clay being too tough for them to dig as they like. I was just hoping to get some insight from someone local to Va.

Attachments

• Resized_20240527_112558_1716826149484.jpeg
    Resized_20240527_112558_1716826149484.jpeg
    621.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240509_170918.jpg
    20240509_170918.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully we have some Virginia folks here who can give you some insights. Thanks for joining!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! Judging from the size of the one in the photo, they aren’t yet big enough to be living outdoors full time, they need to be measuring closer to 10 inches, which is usually around the age of 3, but some take longer. Perhaps yours just looks smaller on the photo though?

If they are under ten inches, they both need to be housed in separate closed chamber enclosures, they need a closed chamber because they require higher humidity whilst they’re younger, which is impossible to maintain with an open top.

Just to check, these guys aren’t housed together in the same enclosures are they? tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Two male Russians are especially a recipe for disaster.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

Perhaps you’ll find this thread useful to go through for if you do need two closed chambers

If bigger than they look, this thread goes over an indoor set up for when they aren’t able to be outside, these are good to read through to double check you’re using the right equipment, so many folks start out with the wrong bulb types and stuff

This thread also comes in handy when it comes to avoiding the wrong bulbs etc

Hopefully someone will be along from your location to help advise on the outdoor situation shortly🙂

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Judging from the size of the one in the photo, they aren’t yet big enough to be living outdoors full time, they need to be measuring closer to 10 inches, which is usually around the age of 3, but some take longer. Perhaps yours just looks smaller on the photo though?
I agree with everything else you said, except for the 10 inch rule. It doesn't apply to Russians since some males never grow to be that size. Mine is full grown at 5 inches.

I definetly agree that the tortoises shouldn't live in a pair.

@Eric.r.lynn1991 you might want to look into building heated and insulated night shelters for your tortoises.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I agree with everything else you said, except for the 10 inch rule. It doesn't apply to Russians since some males never grow to be that size. Mine is full grown at 5 inches.

I definetly agree that the tortoises shouldn't live in a pair.

@Eric.r.lynn1991 you might want to look into building heated and insulated night shelters for your tortoises.
Woah really! 5 inches? Bless little lad, My friend has a boy that measures nearly 10! Must just be a big boy lol! But yeah for Russians I say ‘closer to 10’ meaning a few inches under is fine, I know they’re slower growers🙂

Eric.r.lynn1991

Virginia
Yeah both of them are housed separately. When they are inside they are in the same table but there is a divider I slide in to seperate them so one has a 5'x3' and the other has 4'x20". Outdoors they both have seperate pens but with essentially identical set ups. 90 sure they are full grown they are both about 6". I plan on hibernation this winter so I want to get them prepped as naturally as I can just with the weather but I don't want to be torturing them overnight either lol. This was the last 60° night so I guess they are coming back.

Fluffy

10 Year Member!
West Virginia
Your tortoises are plenty big enough to live outside.

I don't brumate my Herman tortoises. When I didn't have a heated night box I would bring them in for the night when temps hit the low 60's. If it was only reaching those temperatures for a few hours I have left them out. I'm sure they could have handled colder but because I didn't want them to start naturally slowing down for brumation I brought them in. Russians are a hardy species. If you would provide a heated night box they can live outside most of the year.