Anyone ever use Hemlock barkdust/mulch for substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
mightymizz said:
Great insight Mark, appreciate it!

I can definitely do just all Orchid Bark in the enclosure. It really shouldn't be that much more money. I think the Black Gold Orchid Bark only comes in the largest size of 1 cubic foot bags.

I could probably get away with putting a very thin/fine layer of orchid bark on plastic and along with the hardware cloth making sure the heat rope wont physically touch the plastic, be fine in not having the plastic melt.

Ideally the water would also help prevent the melting as well.

So I will go 100% Orchid Bark; no layers, no rocks.

This sound like a better, longer term sustainable, yet safe plan?

That sounds like the best plan. I'm no expert by far, but that does seem like it's a good idea. Try not to over-complicate things and you should be just fine.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Well, I went to order the heat rope and thermostat and BigApple was out of stock on the heat rope and thermometer I wanted.

So I settled for the one size of heat rope they had in stock as well as the thermostat.

I also looked into the Hydrokable, but it appears you have to buy their thermostat to run the cables which I didn't want to do.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
My tortoise enclosures are overdue for an overhaul of substrate and cleaning. I've been looking more into Hemlock mulch, and I'm seeing less of an issue with it than I had previously stated. Hemlock is heavy in tannins, so is cypress. They're in the same order (Pinales) but different families (Pinaceae vs Cupressaceae). Because hemlock is in the Pinaceae, there are some levels of pine oils (alpha and beta pinenes) shortly after processing the mulch. If you let it sit, it's likely that these will break down and be less of a concern to your tortoises. I picked up a bag today for gardening, took a handful and gave it a good sniff. It's not too "piney" which leads me to think the pine oils are not as heavy as the tannins.

The only issue I'm running into is that most companies like to add a bit more color to their Hemlock mulch prior to it seeing the market (they don't always put this on their bags). I know Timberline adds a bit of color and that's the primary supplier around Maine. I googled "organinc hemlock mulch" in my area and found a couple suppliers that will sell additive free mulches. They are landscape supplying companies and sell by the cubic yard, but the prices are reasonable (~$25/cubic yard). They also market a 40-50 year old "seasoned" hemlock mulch. If the price isn't outrageous, I'm going to get some (likely no or very few pine oils). If the "seasoned" mulch is pricey - and I anticipate it will be due to the longevity of aging and the space it requires -, I'm going to get regular ol' hemlock mulch and let it sit for a week or two outside. Then I'm going to give it a shot with my torts. I'll let you know what happens.

Attached is some information on eastern hemlock.

Attachments

• Eastern Hemlock.pdf
    183.7 KB · Views: 40

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Well thanks for the advice Chris!

I think for now, I am going to buy the Orchid Bark. It is the Black Gold brand and from what they told me, out here on the West Coast, it is only fir bark.

I am just hoping this Orchid works well with the heat ropes and water to help aid in raising the humidity.

Also kinda bummed that Big Apple only ships UPS and so my heat rope and thermostat was $11 shipping and takes the UPS "ground" which is 5 business days, which really means basically a week. Oh well. Thursday will be here soon enough so that I can start actually building my substrate.

Anyone else feel free to chime in. :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I think you'll be fine with the Orchid Bark, I don't see why that will not work. It's probably the best alternate next to hardwood mulch, which I can't seem to find in Maine either! I almost bought some orchid bark today, but I was weary of a $5 price tag associated with 8 dry quarts. I'm used to buying 2 cubic feet of cypress mulch (in Syracuse, NY) for $4, forcing me to turn my nose up at the bleak 8 quarts for a similar price in Maine (yea, I've been spoiled and now I'm being rotten!).

I'm a fan of Big Apple herp, but in the future, I'd give those Hydrokables on Amazon a shot. It will likely save you some money since you're on the west coast. The Hydrokable I have seems to be working great.

I hook my rope up to a rheostat and my CHE's to a thermostat, but you could hook the ropes up to either and it would still work. The advantage of the rheostat is that it keeps it going constantly (maybe this is what you're plan is, I'm just assuming the aforementioned thermostat is for the ropes - I could be very wrong!).

It's possible that the hemlock mulch on your side of the country is from western hemlock, very little difference to eastern hemlock for our purposes.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
When I looked at the Hydor Hydrokables, it seemed to me that they can only be used if you buy the Hydor thermostat? I didn't want to spend $50 on a thermostat that I could only use with one product just in case I needed to switch it elsewhere in the future.

I actually was planning on using the thermostat for the heat ropes, I never really considered using a rheostat. That does seem nice that it would keep the ropes "on."

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
The Hydor Hydrokables are similar in quality and function as the Big Apple ropes from what I've seen so far. No special equipment necessary to run them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hemlock bark should not be confused with the herb hemlock which is used to poison so many folks in the mystery books.

Hemlock is a type of pine tree and is used medicinally. Because it is related to pine, I would hesitate to use it as a substrate. However, the picture looks pretty good. Does it have a strong smell?

mightymizz

5 Year Member
It definitely has the classic barkdust smell. It is not a chemical smell, rather a slight....I guess I might say light barnyard "manure" scent.

Maybe the hemlock as an herb was where I was getting my initial fear of using it.

That is good to know about the HydroKables in case I need an alternative.

At this time, I think I am just going to go with the Orchid Bark, but it is a little expensive since the largest bags I can find are the 8 quart ones. The Repti Bark I think might come in larger bags, so maybe that stuff is a better deal? Although from what I have read, Black Gold brand seems like a pretty solid brand.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
emysemys said:
Hemlock bark should not be confused with the herb hemlock which is used to poison so many folks in the mystery books.

Hemlock is a type of pine tree and is used medicinally. Because it is related to pine, I would hesitate to use it as a substrate. However, the picture looks pretty good. Does it have a strong smell?

I just picked up a couple trash can bins full of aged hemlock (40-50 years old) and it doesn't smell like pine at all. I also bought some fresh hemlock mulch and there is little pine odor. Instead ,it's like all the cypress mulch I've used, having a slight coniferous odor. Hemlock, pine, and cypress are all in the order Pinales, but yes hemlock is more closely related to pines via the family pinaceae. This said, hemlock is not in the Pinus genus, it is a Tsuga, and I don't think it's going to cause much of an issue as a substrate.

We need affordable alternatives to cypress mulch as suppliers don't distribute to all portions of the U.S. I'm going to test the waters with hemlock and let you guys know how it holds out. I may create another post outlining what I purchased today.

I went to a landscape supply store today and picked up 2 large trashcans of aged hemlock mulch and a 40-gallon tote fresh hemlock mulch. It cost $15, which is dirt cheap for the volume I received.

Aged mulch (40-50 years old). You can see it's almost like soil at this point. No additives and was actually cheaper than the fresh stuff! I guess it's easier to mill since it's heavily decomposed.
2qiyzv7.jpg

30hsqbq.jpg

Here's the fresh stuff. Again, no additives, just milled up hemlock bark.
10e0dhl.jpg

v8o1hv.jpg

Minimal smell in the fresh mulch, but slightly more than cypress. It's also a bit wet so I may air it out and let it dry for a bit. The aged mulch has an earthy smell (no surprise!). This may be an alternative to cypress where it is not available and other substrates are not reasonably priced for their volume. I'll put up a separate thread after I've had it in their enclosures for some time.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Great! Appreciate you sharing pictures as well.

Maybe I am confusing what I might describe as the warm barn type smell with what you are describing as an earthy smell. It just makes me remember as a kid, I always knew there was fresh barkdust because you could smell it.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I don't like making statements about plant volatiles that I have zero evidence for. Attached are two papers, one on hemlock and one on cypress, examining plant volatile levels of leaves/branches in both generas (Tsuga & Taxodium).

Keep in mind these papers do not discuss bark. Both genera have very high levels of alpha-pinene, a common antimicrobial & insecticide in conifers.

Attachments

• Phytochemistry_Tsuga canadensis.pdf
    115.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Phytochemistry_Taxodium distichum.pdf
    514.2 KB · Views: 6

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Well today I got in my Heat Rope and my thermostat. I bought some hardware cloth and it was just a little bit too big so I was able to fold it over to make it fit inside my enclosure. The hardware cloth doesn't seem to want to lay flat ( no matter how I bend it, it still is wavy from being rolled up) so I will need to buy some slate to help keep it flat.

I plugged in the heat ropes with some orchid bark on top of it, and these ropes just dont seem to get very hot. I can easily hold it with no discomfort. I do feel heat though. After a good amount of time of being on full time, I definitely don't feel much of a warmth in the substrate just 2 inches above the heat rope.

1. Does this sound normal for those of you who have used these heat ropes before? I almost feel like I don't need to hook it up to a thermostat. Maybe my heat ropes is not operating as it should? I have the space between each "section" of rope about 2-3 inches away from each other, so I could make it a smaller distance if I need to?

2. If this is pretty much normal, will this amount of heat really help the water raise all the way to the surface (through 4 or 5 inches of bark) to be released as humidity?

3. I was really hoping that these ropes would give a slight warmth to the surface of the substrate since this enclosure is 6 feet long and I will have CHE at each end, and dont want the middle section to be too cold. Any thoughts here?

Thanks to anyone who has any thoughts!
I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes from here!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Pretty normal and the way we want it. The ropes should ideally just run a bit higher than the ambient temps (average low temps) in the habitat. That is all the boost the water needs to turn to vapor and rise up through the substrate, converting to humidity in the process. It will also slowly warm the substrate as well.

Too much heat here would damage the habitat surfaces, and make the substrate 'run dry' too easily- it could actually become a potential fire hazard. We are not trying to make steam, just water vapor a little faster than it would happen anyway.

As things settle in, the rising warmish water vapor should also help moderate the habitat temps but it is not really going to 'heat' them, just gently warm them a bit.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Good to know, thanks Mark.

Today I ended up buying some slate pieces to hold down the hardware cloth. I think I will also end up buying another heat rope to finish the remaining of the enclosure.

My thermostat from Bigapple says to not submerse the temp. probe in water. I tried calling them as there is some confusion to me if they are talking about the temp. probe or the device, but they are already closed.

I hope that a little moisture on the BAH temp. probe isn't going to be a problem as I will have it buried to run the heat ropes.

Thanks everyone!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
It sounds like you might of sorted it with the substrate but can't wait to read how the orchid bark performs on the humidity side with the heat ropes! ;)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Temp probe- there should be a wire with a slightly bulbous end that measures the temps and adjusts the heaters accordingly. This probe should never be too wet, and finding a good place for it is trial and error and depends in part on if the thermostat is set to the hot, mid, or cool temps for the place- which in turn kind of depends on stuff.

I set mine for not quite the warmest I want it, then locate it near but not under the main heater, close to the soil surface.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
So you put your temperature probe that runs your heat ropes actually just above the surface? Wouldn't that mean that you aren't really monitoring the heat ropes and more the ambient temps. of your enclosure?

Maybe this is ideal?

I was under the impression that I needed to bury my temperature probe to help it get a little closer to the heat ropes so that the thermostat has a more accurate reading of when to turn the ropes on and off.?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
This is why I prefer a rheostat/dimmer switch setup for the heat ropes. I can dial them down to a medium-low setting and hook my CHE's up to a separate thermostat to regulate the air temperatures in the enclosure. I just use the ropes for humidity, which I can accomplish fine with a rheostat/dimmer.

The temperature probes on the thermostat aren't generally meant to be buried under damp/wet substrate, though it may be fine?

I wish I had caught your plan sooner and directed you toward a cheap rheostat for the ropes...

Status
Not open for further replies.