Apparently been doing things wrong for years, utterly devastated.

PyroLou

Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk
I got my hermanns tortoise 10 years ago when I was 11. My parents were obviously responsible for her when I was that young but they'd never had a reptile before. We are a family of animal lovers and would be devastated to think we'd ever harmed an animal in any way, so they went on a tortoise course to learn how to care for her before we bought her. As I've grown up I've just followed their advice on how to care for her since they did the course and paid good money for reliable information.
Now I'm preparing to buy my first home with my fiance and he suggested that since we're getting a new home, Hermione should get one too (his way of saying "I'm not having that tatty old vivarium in my house!"). I started researching and was distraught to discover that vivariums are now considered evil little hell boxes. So I've just dropped £100+ on a massive custom made tort table. I then discovered that the strip style lights combined with heat pads are satans lightbulbs/heaters so I've spent £50 on a basking light. In hindsight it makes sense to give the tortoise the option of moving in and out of the heat source, but as I said, my parents were supposed to have received reliable information. Anyway, to summarize, today I have bought a 48 x 24 inch tort table, a uva/uvb/heat basking lamp, a basking rock, decorative/climbing rocks, decorative lump of wood and orchid bark to use as substrate (reptile shop we purchased her from told us wood shavings were fine!) I was tempted by some plastic foliage designed for fish but I wasn't sure if that was ok.

I'm so upset that we've been doing everything wrong for 10 years. I feel like I've failed her and made her life miserable. When I look at her I just want to cry, I feel so guilty.
We weren't like those idiotic people who go out and buy an animal with no idea how to care for it, we tried to get educated. But I can't change the past. So my question is, does this new stuff sound ok??

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome.

Stop feeling guilty and start thinking about doing the best for your tort. You can't change what has happened so there's no point stressing about it, you can improve the future :)

Strip UVB is NOT the lighting from hell; many of us use them. Coil (or compact) UVB is a problem. Hopefully that makes you feel better. I am guessing you have bought an MVB... they are great :)

Your tort needs lots of space, lreferably outdoors. Aim for 4'x8' minimum - few store purchased enclosures will give yout tort the room it needs. A book case with the shelves knocked out, lined with pond liner or shower curtain, and the coco coir or orchid bark substrate is much better.

Read our Hermann's care sheet http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
and the Beginner mistakes one http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
if you haven't already :)

PyroLou

Suffolk
Wow, thank you for those links! Feeling less panicky now! She's had an outdoor run since day 1 but the bookcase with shelves knocked out idea is fantastic! Will be great for my bunny too! :D

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. I was in your shoes less than 3 years ago, so understand how you feel. In your defense the best info has changed and will likely continue to evolve as we figure out better ways to care for these amazing creatures. Read all the threads you can and ask any questions you have.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is nothing wrong with vivariums, and in fact they make providing the correct environment much easier for a baby. Babies need some humidity and warmth and that is very difficult to achieve in an open table.

Every heating and lighting strategy has good and bad points. Its knowing these strengths and weaknesses and working with them correctly that makes the difference.

Don't be so hard on yourself. We were all ignorant at one time, and most of us still are! :) Learn and do your best.

48x24 inches is adequate for a small hatchling. It is not "massive" by any stretch of the imagination. 48x96 inches is what I recommend as a minimum indoor size table for an adult hermanni. Bigger would be better.

PyroLou

Suffolk
Time to move forward. You ahve found us now. Why not post some pictures so we can admire your tort? :)

I don't need to be asked twice!

tumblr_n4y9f9svEr1rq4rnko1_400.jpg

I'm also a massive Terry Pratchett fan, so umm, this once happened:
tumblr_na5e97SZHc1rq4rnko4_250.jpg

This will look insane to people who haven't read the dicswrold books!
No glue/bluetack just balanced on her shell for 2 mins to get a picture, she walked too fast and it fell off then she promptly tried to eat it.
She makes me laugh all the time :')

PyroLou

Suffolk
48x24 inches is adequate for a small hatchling. It is not "massive" by any stretch of the imagination. 48x96 inches is what I recommend as a minimum indoor size table for an adult hermanni. Bigger would be better.

I will keep this in mind. I try to put her outside whenever possible, my parents have a big garden with a secure fence and she hasn't escaped in 10 years! She's only really in her vivarium at night or in winter.

So much helpful advice and friendliness, I really appreciate it! :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don't need to be asked twice!

tumblr_n4y9f9svEr1rq4rnko1_400.jpg

I'm also a massive Terry Pratchett fan, so umm, this once happened:
tumblr_na5e97SZHc1rq4rnko4_250.jpg

This will look insane to people who haven't read the dicswrold books!
No glue/bluetack just balanced on her shell for 2 mins to get a picture, she walked too fast and it fell off then she promptly tried to eat it.
She makes me laugh all the time :')
I am a discworld fan :D

And that shell says you haven't been doing too badly for the last 10 years. Looking good. Well done :)

PyroLou

Suffolk
And that shell says you haven't been doing too badly for the last 10 years. Looking good. Well done :)

I nearly didn't post a pic because I was terrified someone would comment on her beak/nails/shell/eyes/skin so that's a HUGE relief!

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Most of us have made mistakes with our torts. I kept my redfoot and my Russian together and thought it was fine when I was new to torts. Don't beat yourself up :). Your tort looks good!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I nearly didn't post a pic because I was terrified someone would comment on her beak/nails/shell/eyes/skin so that's a HUGE relief!

Any comments given like that would be from nothing but good intentions. Attacks, mean-spirited comments and insults are not allowed on this site. So post pics freely. If anyone has anything negative to say, it will purely be in the interest of improving your tortoises life and not to be mean or hurtful. Mostly comments will be positive.