Are California members safe?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I live in a very fire-safe area of California. Nothing in the nature of natural disaster happens here. . . no flooding, no fires, no earthquakes. However, the Central Valley is a bowl, and when there are fires to the north, as like now, the wind blows all that smoke our way and it settles over us, sometimes blocking the sun. But the folks in Bakersfield have it worse than us with the smoke. The smoke can't make it up over the mountains at the bottom of the valley (which is where Bakersfield is) and it really settles over them.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I live in a very fire-safe area of California. Nothing in the nature of natural disaster happens here. . . no flooding, no fires, no earthquakes. However, the Central Valley is a bowl, and when there are fires to the north, as like now, the wind blows all that smoke our way and it settles over us, sometimes blocking the sun. But the folks in Bakersfield have it worse than us with the smoke. The smoke can't make it up over the mountains at the bottom of the valley (which is where Bakersfield is) and it really settles over them.

So glad to hear you’re ok, Yvonne.[emoji2]
I can’t imagine how you could ever evacuate all your animals!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
@Yvonne G , isn't Markw84 sort of near you? Is he likely OK, too?
I'm not exactly sure where Tom lives...
How about your sister, Maggie- she's also a California girl, isn't she?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Here in the SE Sacramento area we just have a LOT of smoke. It is currently advised not to go outside unless you have to as the air quality is rated "hazardous". I am about 100 miles south of the fire that destroyed Paradise, CA. Brenda's son-in-law has been deployed there and is fighting that fire. My home is more in the valley and not in a forested area - so not the concern of those surrounded by trees.

Tom's home and ranch is not near the Thousand Oaks/Malibu fires. He lives about 30-40 miles inland from where those fires are burning.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Here in the SE Sacramento area we just have a LOT of smoke. It is currently advised not to go outside unless you have to as the air quality is rated "hazardous". I am about 100 miles south of the fire that destroyed Paradise, CA. Brenda's son-in-law has been deployed there and is fighting that fire. My home is more in the valley and not in a forested area - so not the concern of those surrounded by trees.

Tom's home and ranch is not near the Thousand Oaks/Malibu fires. He lives about 30-40 miles inland from where those fires are burning.
Thanks, Mark. :)
SO GLAD to hear that you and your family are safe. Prayers and good wishes to EVERYONE fighting the fires. :<3:
The videos on YouTube are absolutely terrifying.
I have a niece in Berkeley- they're safe but getting some of the smoke.
Also glad to hear that Tom is safe, too.