California fires-

Chizbad

Location (City and/or State)
Wilmington, NC
I just read on the news these fires have already killed an accounted for 54 horses... terrible stuff [emoji853]

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
One of the fires is a few miles away from me, but none of my properties are in immediate danger right now. The heavy winds are even blowing the smoke out to sea, so if it won't for the news, we wouldn't even know.

My friend's place burned to the ground though. Nothing left. They are devastated.

Tom you’ve saved enough torts on these forums including mine a time or two.... you let me know when I need to come with a bucket and hose and I’ll book the next flight out. I have some fam I guess I could say hi to over in El Cajon

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
If its enough to bother you, then it is enough to bother them. If its just faint and barely noticeable and not causing you any trouble, then its probably fine for them.

Correct. Not sure if you watch the local news daily, but they will usually tell you if the monoxide levels are too high to go outside. The vets always tell me exactly what Tom has stated above (doctors say the same for my own offspring).

I live and work in central San Diego and don't smell or see a thing. However many of my colleagues live in North county and they are a wreck.

Many have no power and the misses asked me what to do with her babies in the event ours gets cut. Guess we go back to the old fashioned way and use gas stove. I have an emergency package of 24hr heatpacks in worst case. Luckily it's a very mild "winter".

God bless those displaced and the helpless animals affected.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Question, I decided to study out in the backyard with the torts today and I noticed that I can smell the smoke. Its not a crazy amount, just noticable. How harmful is this for my tortoises? Should I bring them inside until this all goes away?
I bet it isn't as bad for your tortoises as for you since they are low to the ground.

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
One of the fires is a few miles away from me, but none of my properties are in immediate danger right now. The heavy winds are even blowing the smoke out to sea, so if it won't for the news, we wouldn't even know.

My friend's place burned to the ground though. Nothing left. They are devastated.
So sorry to hear about your friends. I grew up in San Diego and worried about the fires all my childhood. Even now I get nervous when fire is involved, even BBQ's and fireplaces. So glad you and yours are fine.