Are these enclosures looking good?

frenchsuite

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
1000014110.jpg1000014108.jpg1000014109.jpg

Three similar size new enclosures for two adult Russians and one baby red foot.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Only hatchlings should be housed in an aquarium and even they need bigger then what you are doing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh and the ramped water dishes are wrong and dangerous, flipping and drowning hazard and they won't use them as much as they should. A clay saucer big enough they can fit into it is needed, for all of them and another reason the enclosures are way to small.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
There are unfortunately quite a few changes that need to be made here asap, these enclosures can only be used as a temporary measure, what is your heating and lighting situation? Uv? Obviously Russians and red foot’s have different heating and humidity requirements and none of these guys can be housed together at any point, bare that in mind.
Switch out those water dishes for terracotta saucers

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
A some what cost effective way to go about the needed renovations could be something like this garden bed base, lined with a pond liner(you can find them pretty cheap) with a frame over top to put a cover like this on(especially needed for the red foot’s humidity) and to hold your heating bulbs, lights, uv fixture etc, hope this helps!😊
Any further questions please ask!

Attachments

• IMG_1618.png
    IMG_1618.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1619.png
    IMG_1619.png
    843.2 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are unfortunately quite a few changes that need to be made here asap, these enclosures can only be used as a temporary measure, what is your heating and lighting situation? Uv? Obviously Russians and red foot’s have different heating and humidity requirements and none of these guys can be housed together at any point, bare that in mind.
Not even temporary as they are way too small for the tortoises sizes and the size water dish they need. The temps can't even be varied with that small size.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Not even temporary as they are way too small for the tortoises sizes and the size water dish they need. The temps can't even be varied with that small size.
Don’t get me wrong, I definitely agree, I’m talking op keeping them in there for a matter of days whilst they can get something better set up, I can’t imagine getting three large enclosures set up at once is going to be an easy task, but it desperately needs doing😣

frenchsuite

Alabama
Thank you. I am in South Alabama so they are outside. I do have 3 uvs and 3 heating for them inside when winter comes.

Attachments

• 20240604_123308.jpg
    20240604_123308.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2

frenchsuite

Alabama
They are all way too small. The Russians need a minimum of a 4x8 foot each one. The Redfoot needs bigger.
Changes need to be made ASAP or they will develop problems!
There is no 4x8 reptile enclosure for sell. I have 75 gallon but that seems too small also. I need to customize it I think.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is no 4x8 reptile enclosure for sell. I have 75 gallon but that seems too small also. I need to customize it I think.
No there isn't. Almost everything sold for tortoises is only good in size for hatchings but not for the proper way hatchlings need to be raised. Aquariums really aren't for tortoise other than hatchings either.
Putting your tortoises outside in a glass aquarium is a heated death trap if they get in the sun. If they have no sun to get into, why even bring them out? At least for now, get each one a large kiddie pool and place half in shade and half in sun. Put substrate a hide, water dish and food in them and let them spend the day outside where they can actually move around, bask and get UV from the sun
They need a designated outdoor space with shade, hide, water and grazing and no glass aquarium.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Please do you best you get some bigger set ups sorted till you can build something more permanent, maybe like wellington suggested, some kiddie pools will be better for now🙂

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sure. I am going to finance a wooden tortoise house sometime later this summer
Hopefully you can do better before then. You are affecting the health of your tortoises in those tiny enclosures. I had to rehab a tortoise kept in to small of an enclosure. His size and walking abilities were greatly affected.