Are these plants edible?

chiefbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi everyone. We are in Southern California and are the proud caregivers of 2 male sulcatas - both 9 years of age and both around 100 pounds each. They are housed close to each other but separated.

They always have fresh orchard grass hay available. Every day we supplement with a varying mixture which may include dandelion greens, bok choy, spring mix, squash and kale. We also grow orchard grass and crab grass specifically for them. We are on 20 acres and also cut wild grasses for them to eat.

Due to the increased rainfall we have had recently, a lot of weed type plants have popped up. I would love to know if it would be appropriate to feed these new plants to our boys. I'd appreciate any help you could give me with identification, nutritional value and safety of the plants I photographed.

I studied this forum intently before we took in our rescued boys. The knowledge here is invaluable!! Thank you so much. :) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490567921.811623.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490567948.695505.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490567963.585732.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490567975.136024.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The second one is fiddleneck. The seeds build up toxins in the kidneys. I wouldn't allow them to eat that one.

I think the last two are some sort of wild raddish. At any rate, it's edible.

I'm not sure about the daisies.

chiefbit

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks Yvonne. You are very helpful. My tortoise boys will eat just about anything, so I don't trust them to be discerning. :)