Arriving tomorrow!!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
This lil guy!! Male redfoot baby, being airmailed..could not wait any longer. He will be moving into a 5x2 plywood enclosure. Picking up his fogger, top soil and cypress mulch. As well as some aloevera plants. Will update tomorrow when its all complete!!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 53

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Look like a curious little fella. How do you know he's male?

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Idk its what we asked for...hopefully they can tell...do males have the hourglass shape this young?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Idk its what we asked for...hopefully they can tell...do males have the hourglass shape this young?
No, it will be at best 4yrs old before you can sex it, the constricted waist comes even later than that.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Do you think a 40g long tank would be a suitable home for the baby? I have one along with the screen top.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Do you think a 40g long tank would be a suitable home for the baby? I have one along with the screen top.
Don't know if others will agree, but I think yes for up to 6 months old for 1 baby. It's easier to maintain correct humidity and temps in a smaller enclosure, also he won't be super active until around a yr old. Eat, bathe and hide is all he will do for now. I would get all your parameters correct for the little guy and put your mind to a bigger enclosure with exact same parameters for when he's 6 months old.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I have the 40g long tank or I was going to build a tort table of plywood..5x2...top soil, moss, cypress mulch...some hides...and a saucer for water dish and a tile for food...also getting another fogger and add some plants and drop grass seeds in there as well...

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It needs to be a closed system to maintain humidity of 80/90% and an ambient temperature of 80/86f. No basking spot required. If you use an open table you will not maintain humidity and temps unless your open table is in the correct climate. Also I would forget plants for now, work on that later, they get eaten or trampled on and it's sole destroying.lol.
If I was you I would use the 40 gallon for now and build something bigger. A 5x2 won't buy you much more time than a 40 gallon. Your going to be looking at 8x4ft for 1 adult.
3x6 may last you 5 yrs.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
My apologies...it will be an enclosed chamber as we have now for rosey our 3yr old rf. She lives in a 7x2 and its enclosed. I wont have the space for another huge enclosure. Not until we move next year.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
5x2 would last 2yrs max IMO. I've got 3 and 8yr+ olds together and never seen an issue. Maybe build a 2x5 then in a couple of yes build a huge enclosure for all the reds you aquire(there will be more :D).

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
How about this...I build the 8x4 now and he lives in a plastic tub in a corner...so she gets acclimated to his smells and sounds? Will that effect either negatively??

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
How about this...I build the 8x4 now and he lives in a plastic tub in a corner...so she gets acclimated to his smells and sounds? Will that effect either negatively??
Build an 8x4 with a removable divider so you got 2x4 and 6x4.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I was going to get a cement tub 3x2 so he lives in there..

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Ty so much for the sage advice!! Now its work time...just gor an update from myturtlestore and he is being shipped!! Hoping he gets here tonight :))))))

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
You can't tell the sex of a tortoise when it's just a hatchling, but I have heard that breeders can incubate the eggs at different temperatures to have a clutch of tortoise eggs develope to be a specific/desired sex.
If your little redfoot was incubated in a temperature below 82degrees F in its egg state, he should develop and grow to be a male red foot tortoise. If the tortoise's egg was incubated above 82degrees F, it should develope to be female. If a whole clutch is incubated at an average temperature, the sexes of the tortoise hatchlings would develope randomly, and may vary among the whole clutch.
I have heard that this trick is possible for multiple species of reptile, and the success rate of having a clutch of reptile eggs be a premodified gender is pretty high.
If the breeder incubated your tortoise at a temperature below 82deg. F, I'm sure your little tortoise will most likely, if not definitely, be a male red foot tortoise.
Hope that little bit of input helped you out ‍♀️

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Yes it did. He will be arriving tomorrow morning. Someone forgot to mention the terms and conditions on shipping.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Baby Solomn!!!

Attachments

• 20170711_125524.jpg
    20170711_125524.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 20170711_125329.jpg
    20170711_125329.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 23