Average hatchling weight?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I'm curious after have some conversations with some people outside of this forum...
What is the weight range for healthy leopard hatchlings here in the US?

I know they all have their own growth rates and that can have little to nothing to do with their size at hatch. I've seen in my own group that your tiniest hatchling can end up being your largest (by far), yearling. While your largest hatchling is your middle of the road guy later on, age for age.

I don't have hatch weights for my yearlings and I didn't keep track of their weights until they were right at a year old. I have however, been keeping track of my hatchlings weight and growth since she hatched. (She was 32g at hatch and 85g at 10 weeks)

So what's the typical weight range at hatch?

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico
I am not sure what their hatch weight was but my two babies are at 31g and 35g and they are about 8 weeks now. Both were about 29g when I rec'd them a month ago.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have a few out of the bunch that's hatched out. Same age as yours that are 70-80 grams and then average of the others are 35-58 grams but many are weeks younger than others as well.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
My 2 brand new ones hatched at 35 and 36 grams - but I have an older one that hatched at 39 grams. I think it depends on the tortoise mother though. For instance these eggs were huge because the mother is probably a pp and pb hybrid. The eggs of my other female (pb) are much smaller so I expect they will weigh less at hatching. Hope that was helpful.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Depends on which type or mix of types you are hatching. My "regular" ones were hatching out at around 24-28 grams. I don't know what true Gpp hatch out at because they were all hatching out in the ground and who knows how long they sat in the nest or what they ate upon emergence. My Gpp were no more than a few weeks old when I got them, dry routine raised, and they were 32-42 grams. I do not know exactly how old any of them were. Might have been two weeks old, might have been 6 weeks old.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Depends on which type or mix of types you are hatching. My "regular" ones were hatching out at around 24-28 grams. I don't know what true Gpp hatch out at because they were all hatching out in the ground and who knows how long they sat in the nest or what they ate upon emergence. My Gpp were no more than a few weeks old when I got them, dry routine raised, and they were 32-42 grams. I do not know exactly how old any of them were. Might have been two weeks old, might have been 6 weeks old.
This little one started out at 32 grams and is now, as if this evening, 106 grams. She turned 12 weeks old today. I now wish I had weighed all my others when they were this size. Oops. Live and learn.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421638559.334120.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421638571.251512.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421638737.344181.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421638933.056704.jpg

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
108 grams. I missed the editing window.

Mark L

Hi Elohi, beautiful leopard love the pattern. One question for you....
What do you feed you tortoise ?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Hi Elohi, beautiful leopard love the pattern. One question for you....
What do you feed you tortoise ?
Thank you. :)
This baby has been eating endive, dandelion, mallow, smooth and prickly sow thistle, cats ear, rehydrated orchard hay sprinkled over her food most days, spring mix (no spinach), hibiscus leaves, and a little cactus.
She's also had a few mazuri and grassland pellets but not many. I prefer feeding greens with the rehydrated hay sprinkles. I say "sprinkles" but it's orchard hay that I have put through a food processor to get it to a consistency that's easy to sprinkle over fresh greens. Like this:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421648299.951236.jpg