Babies on the way

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Back in August I acquired a 14.5" pardalis/babcocki female. Although I'm not aiming to produce mixed babies long term, I've allowed my young male p.pardalis to mate with her until I acquire a pure adult female p.pardalis.

I was not expecting her to lay eggs as soon as she did though. I was pleasantly surprised when on a cool night October 15th she dug a nest and laid 8 eggs.
She and my male continue to mate everyday and a month later on November 15th she laid a clutch of 10. Two eggs more than the previous nest .
And like clock work on Dec13th she laid another clutch of 12 eggs! Four more than her initial clutch. It's quite interesting to see a female go up each time on egg count rather than down.

Now I'm not certain whether or not the eggs are fertilized by my male p.p. are by the previous babcocki males she was around before I acquired her.

All 8 of her first clutch show signs of being fertile but some eggs are progressing faster than others. When I candle them it's obvious that they will hatch at different times.

Her second clutch of 10 currently look to be 5fertile and 5infertile.

Her 3rd clutch of 12 is to early to know. They haven't began to chalk.

Her personality is that of a p.pardalis. Very bold and fearless. She is a total tank and I couldn't be happier with her. Eventually after I acquire 1 or 2 large female p.pardalis to pair with my current p.pardalis male I will likely acquire a male babcocki to pair her with.

I just thought I would let you guys know and I will keep y'all updated on how things develop. Here are some pictures of her and my male. This an exciting time for me and new territory. I'll be grateful to hatch out one but I'm hoping for many!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450839877.010609.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450839917.395583.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450839950.732130.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450839982.483013.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450840004.749517.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450840014.139147.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450840025.367525.jpg

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I will surely update everyone once they start popping. Question for you guys. Have yall had eggs that showed an embryo at roughly 4-5 weeks when candled and then 2-3 weeks later when candled it looks as if there was no progress made?

3 or 4 of my first clutch are developing at a much faster rate than the others that appear to be fertile. I have never witnessed this with my sulcata eggs when candled. I have candled them once a week over the last few weeks and it just is very puzzling to have some that appear to be halted but definitely showing an embryo.

I will post pictures tonight if I get time to candle them.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Update time. Sorry I wasn't able to take pictures but the good news is the eggs are noticeably progressing now.
ALL 8 of my first clutch are undoubtedly fertile. And it turns out at least 8 of the 2nd clutch of 10 are fertile. The 3rd nest is still to young to tell and hasn't begun to chalk yet.

So it looks like I will be hopefully hatching out at least 16 babies in a few months and potentially many more. :) what a great feeling!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Congrats! ! ! !

I'm a first time torts Dad. Now I can say I somewhat know how it goes. It is amazing! !

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Oh I just love baby pictures! ;D There are some really beautiful torts in this thread!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Congrats. When do you think your first clutch will hatch x
I think based on the eggs that are furthest along in developement probably 10-16 weeks from now. Some eggs from the second clutch are developing at a faster rate than others from the first clutch, but that happens on occasion even with my sulcata eggs.

littlemozzy1987

5 Year Member
Wow that is a difference. It's amazing how long leopard eggs take to get started, I thought my son had killed all ours as he knocked the incubator when they were 3 weeks in, came in to find all eggs upside down! Funny tho that the following week the veins started to appear!
Good luck, fingers crossed for your babies ☺

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Update. Two days ago my female laid yet another clutch . This time of 14eggs :) which means she has continued to go up 2eggs per clutch each time. So I'm currently incubating 44 eggs and so far the fertility rate has been around 90%. It looks like I'll be hatching a good bit of babies fairly soon,,,exciting stuff.
Fingers crossed that the incubation continues to go well.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452279888.452207.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452279908.528411.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Oh my goodness! What are you going to do with all those babies?! XD