Babcocki X Pardalis.. Whatever Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
RE: Babcocki X Paralis.. What ever Pic

GeoTerraTestudo said:
Is it bad to hybridize leopard tortoises subspecies together?

I love this, The reason we as humans keep breeding stocks of pure animals, is so that maybe someday we can repopulate what we as humans have destroyed.Ya know maybe some rianforests will spring up someplace we don't want to build on, or maybe we will stop eating , or loose the desire to kill a living thing to make earrings. Is it bad to hybridize, I don't know is it any worse than what has already been done to these animals?

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
looking forward to seeing all the babies pics, and the possible color differences/ variations.

congrats!

teri

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This is very interesting to me. Can someone describe which features are babcocki and which are pardalis? Especially as pics of the new hatchlings are posted. Too new for me to know the differences. Just think they are all so cute!

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Now theres 3
009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
DesertGrandma said:
This is very interesting to me. Can someone describe which features are babcocki and which are pardalis? Especially as pics of the new hatchlings are posted. Too new for me to know the differences. Just think they are all so cute!

Generally speaking, pardalis babies have two little dots inside the scutes and very speckled skin while babcock babies have no or very little speckles and one dot.

John

5 Year Member
My "hybrid" has very speckled skin, the two dots are merged to one large on a couple scutes, its feet are very large in comparison to my babcocki, and its rate of growth is near triple that of my babcocki's.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
squamata said:
My "hybrid" has very speckled skin, the two dots are merged to one large on a couple scutes, its feet are very large in comparison to my babcocki, and its rate of growth is near triple that of my babcocki's.

Yes, (about the rate of growth) I kept my very first hatched babcock about 5 years ago and he grew VERY slowly compared to the two pardalis I bought last year from Tom. I didn't notice the foot thing. I'll have to pay attention to that attribute :D .

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Agree these have great interesting patterns and colors. Can't wait to see more pics as they grow.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
DesertGrandma said:

Generally speaking, pardalis babies have two little dots inside the scutes and very speckled skin while babcock babies have no or very little speckles and one dot.

Is this difference evident when they get older and the spots spread out?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
DesertGrandma said:
Is this difference evident when they get older and the spots spread out?

Actually it gets more difficult to tell the difference between the two. Impossible in a lot of cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.