Baby Bowser

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Queen Creek, Arizona
Good Day Friends,

I am sending a big shout out to everyone on this forum. Baby Bowser is now 3 monthes old and gaining wieght. He has almost doubled his 6 week wiegh in. Thank you everyone for all your advice. Bowser appriciates it as well. First picture is 6 weeks, second one is at 3 months.

Attachments

• Bowser3months2.jpg
    Bowser3months2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Bowser6weeks.jpg
    Bowser6weeks.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 85

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Bowser is doing great ! Nice job !
m1202.gif

sullygirl85

APG, Maryland
Good Day Friends,

I am sending a big shout out to everyone on this forum. Baby Bowser is now 3 monthes old and gaining wieght. He has almost doubled his 6 week wiegh in. Thank you everyone for all your advice. Bowser appriciates it as well. First picture is 6 weeks, second one is at 3 months.

Thats fantastic!!! Looks like Bowser and Rosie weighed in at about the same when we got them. She weighed about 38m grams and when i weighed her today for her about one week check in, she gained 4 grams :D She is pooping like crazy and eating up a storm lol!

sullygirl85

APG, Maryland
Bowser's 4 month wiegh in. 103 grams. :)
How do you have his tank set up? Do you have a closed enclosure? I do believe shelby has an upper respiratory infection still and I'm working hard to get her set up right. I got the plexiglass and I spray the substrate twice a day to keep her at an above eighty percent humidity level but I'm worried. I keep getting told its took humid in there so I'm contemplating putting the screens back on idk what to do

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
This is my basic setup. This picture is old so the inside has changed alot, but the basic setup is the same. Its a tank with plexi glass on top. I have a CHE lamp for night heat and a 20w basic heat lamp for the other. My humitity is 80% when the lid is closed. I do open the tank once a day for a couple of hours to let it vent. This is when bowser is outside in his outdoor enclosure.

Attachments

• Bowser6.jpg
    Bowser6.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 39

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
Bowser's 6 month weight in. He is growing slower than some, but he eats like crazy, he is active, his shell is nice and smooth, and he seems happy. He has begun to really enjoy his daily warm soaks and his personality is really starting to show. I can tell he is very unhappy with not being outside as much as it has been below 60 degrees outside. But hopefully this week it will warm up in the 70's and he can make a few trips outside for few minutes.

Attachments

• Bowser6months.jpg
    Bowser6months.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 47

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All is looking good. There is nothing wrong with 200+grams at 6 months. Sure a few will grow faster than that, but most grow slower than that. Bowser seems to be doing perfectly from what I can see. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do believe shelby has an upper respiratory infection still and I'm working hard to get her set up right. I got the plexiglass and I spray the substrate twice a day to keep her at an above eighty percent humidity level but I'm worried. I keep getting told its took humid in there so I'm contemplating putting the screens back on idk what to do

Spraying the surface of the substrate doesn't do much. You need to dampen the substrate by pouring water in to it.

Generally speaking, if you suspect an RI, you should bump up the temps. Most people do not keep sulcatas warm enough. Ambient in the 90s during the day is good, in addition to a 100 degree basking area. No lower than 85 at night for one that might be fighting sickness. Daily soaks and attention to humidity are important when using higher heat.

Start a thread and post some pics of your enclosure and I'll bet we will have some helpful tips for you.

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
Here is Bowser's 7 month weight in, 302 grams. It is so fun to see his development and growth on this thread. This month he has definitely stretched his digging legs. He is digging little hides all over his enclosure.

Attachments

• Bowser7months.jpg
    Bowser7months.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 36

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
Thanks Tom. I can't believe he has grown almost 100g in one month. He has definitely hit one of those growth spurts that everyone talks about.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
AzAngel Your tortoise is fantastic. It's so great seeing all these people growing such healthy SMOOTH tortoises now. Thank you TOM! Mine are now that way too. I went crazy for almost 30 years with diet, heat, slower growth, natural weeds and grasses only, etc, etc, etc. I even started using enclosed chambers in 1997 to better control heat. But still pyramiding. Funny how it took so long to think about humidity.

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
I have not been logged on in a log time, but I thought I would give a 1 year update. Bowser is doing great! He is getting so big. I have started his outdoor enclose and he loves spending time in it. He is already too big for his indoor enclosure so I am working on that situation. I cant believe how fast these guys grow. On his first hatch day (May 30) he wieghted 1lb 14 oz. His diet consists of mostly grass now that he grazes in his outdoor enclosure, but he gets his matzuri once a week.

Attachments

• Bowser 1 year.jpg
    Bowser 1 year.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Bowser 1 year 2.jpg
    Bowser 1 year 2.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 36

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
Posting a 19 month update. 4 lbs already! I can't believe how fast Bowser grows. I have a question though. How do you teach the to go on his house in the winter. I put him in there and close it for the night. I then open it in the late morning, he walks out but won't go back in by himself. It gets cold here at night. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• zcamera-20161212_134929.jpg
    zcamera-20161212_134929.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13