Baby greek digging a trench?

Rochelle

Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Hi guys, my 7 month old greek tortoise is and has been for a while but not the last few weeks, pacing her tank enough to dig a trench in it. Now ive covered the sides so she cant see out but is she okay? Any ideas why she is doing this? Im afraid she is going to flip herself over. Shes almost done it and actually has a few times. Ill try to attach a picture

Attachments

• 20180607_121940.jpg
    20180607_121940.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 44

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Rochelle and welcome to TFO

It's impossible to tell hiw big your enclosure is, but Greeks do need quite a lot of space.

Can we see a picture of your tort? And also a picture of the whole enclosure and the lighting please?

From what I can see it looks like you may have been given outdated advice concerning the care of such a young tort. To be healthy, it needs to be in a closed chamber with damp substrate (tip water in from a jug and mix it thoroughly with your hands until all of it is evenly damp) and high humidity

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Testudo Tortoise Care written about Russians but applies to Greeks)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Rochelle

Edmonton Alberta Canada
Yeah i think thats what the issue was. I soaked her tank and she is a happy camper now. Last time i think she was too dry too. I forgot haha. Shes running around and plying on her rock now. Thanks :)

Rochelle

Edmonton Alberta Canada
And i read the article there too :) im following it pretty well already. I think it may have been that i forgot to soak her tank yesterday as i do t every 2-3 days so it was quite dry. Again thanks for the advice. This is my first time with a tortoise and ive had her about 2 months and i think shes doing okay otherwise

Attachments

• 1528399833701-623878864.jpg
    1528399833701-623878864.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 1528399889995181728254.jpg
    1528399889995181728254.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You can't hope to retain the humidity in an open enclosure like that. You really need something with a lid for a baby like you have.

When wetting the substrate, take all the decor out then tip water in from a jug. Mix it in thoroughly with your hands and repeat until all of it is evenly damp right to the bottom and right into the corners.

Surface spraying with eater from a plant spray bottle will help to slow the rate at which it dries out.

Please re-read those guides. Your tort will be with you for the next 50+ years (we had Joe our Greek for over 40 years) and a good start is important

Rochelle

Edmonton Alberta Canada
I did all that. And it has a lid i just took it off to take the picture. I remove everything and soak it and fluff it up before putting everything back. I am doing everything correctly. I studdied for months before doing this. It wasnt a spur if the moment decision. It was years in the making. I was just wondering why she was doing her digging. Ive got it figured out now so thank you. If i have anymore questions ill ask

Last edited:

Rochelle

Edmonton Alberta Canada
She may also just be mad cause she cant see out if the tank anymore? I put paper around the edges cause so many people said to do that and now shes climbing and trying to look out. Should i take the paper off too? Would that help? I put it on yesterday and she started digging today

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I did all that. And it has a lid i just took it off to take the picture. I remove everything and soak it and fluff it up before putting everything back. I am doing everything correctly. I studdied for months before doing this. It wasnt a spur if the moment decision. It was years in the making. I was just wondering why she was doing her digging. Ive got it figured out now so thank you. If i have anymore questions ill ask
That's great :) I am just checking the obvious too :) Your tort looks very well :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
She may also just be mad cause she cant see out if the tank anymore? I put paper around the edges cause so many people said to do that and now shes climbing and trying to look out. Should i take the paper off too? Would that help? I put it on yesterday and she started digging today
Torts don't handle change well... it may just be that. However, she may also me lettting you know that she needs a bigger enclosure.

These torts roam miles in the wild and in captivity need lots of space too. If she doesn't settle you may have to look at creating a bigger space

Rochelle

Edmonton Alberta Canada
Thank! I worry about her as i dont know what normal is yet. I can do that? I didnt know you could message people directly on here.

She has stuff outside too and she roams my room and the house when im at home. But when im not there shes in her tank cause she has 2 feline bothers who are lke me, still learning lol the one does well the other is still a little young and sees her as a toy.

And she ate some food and went to sleep lol i think shes okay now. I have to go to work but ill check on her and let you know how she is when i get home. If shes still acting funky ill take off the paper, i think she likes being able to see outside.

daniellenc

Maryland
Thank! I worry about her as i dont know what normal is yet. I can do that? I didnt know you could message people directly on here.

She has stuff outside too and she roams my room and the house when im at home. But when im not there shes in her tank cause she has 2 feline bothers who are lke me, still learning lol the one does well the other is still a little young and sees her as a toy.

And she ate some food and went to sleep lol i think shes okay now. I have to go to work but ill check on her and let you know how she is when i get home. If shes still acting funky ill take off the paper, i think she likes being able to see outside.
Cats need to be kept away from your tort at all times. It takes a split second to have an injury that could likely kill your tortoise. They also should not be allowed to roam your house. Too many possibilities for accidents like ingesting the wrong items, wires, and it’s likely your ambient temps at home are too cool.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Cats need to be kept away from your tort at all times. It takes a split second to have an injury that could likely kill your tortoise. They also should not be allowed to roam your house. Too many possibilities for accidents like ingesting the wrong items, wires, and it’s likely your ambient temps at home are too cool.
Exactly this. Jave an enclosure that's big enough and where your tort can be at the temperatures and humidity it needs to be healthy.

Too often we hear of torts that escaoe, get stepped on or eat something they shouldn't when roamkng the house; you only need to be distracted for a moment :(

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hmmmm, greetings, but I’m curious how this lil tort is getting up on that rock to bask? It looks like we are setting this guy up for a tumble and landing on his back. (A bad thing) You might think of moving that rock/hide around a bit so your guy can bask without fear of falling. Maybe place a flat stone in the same location so it warms up, provides a basking area, but no chance of a fall and back landing.

I would also guess that your tort feels like he wants to roam more since you are letting him out to “roam your room and house” when you are home. He knows there is a lot more free space out there...beyond the walls and wants to find them. It’s best to not let torts free roam your house, for lots of reasons.

Good luck with your tort, Happy Torting.