Baby mouse/rat

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Out of curiosity, when would the worry of an animal in "misery" come into play for you? A rat? A rabbit? A ferret? A cat? If we talk about "feelings", turtles also don't have "feelings". I've grown up receiving grief from others for trying to save things that aren't worth saving. Always interesting to see where people draw the line.
I know you weren't addressing me, but it is an interesting question to me: Where to draw the line?

For me, I have to intentionally detach my emotions and heart strings and engage the logical portion of my brain. Is this animal suffering? Is there any chance of survival/recovery? Is survival/recovery likely? How much pain and suffering will be incurred if there is even a chance of survival/recovery? What will happen to the animal if it does survive or recover? What kind of life will it have? Is it a pest species? Is it an introduced, non-native species that shouldn't be loose in the wild anyway? What is the best course of action I can take for this individual animal? What is the "right" thing to do?

Everyone is likely to have different answers for each of these questions, but these are the things that run through my mind when confronted with a situation like this. I have seen some people that I think were too quick on the draw, and I have seen some people who let an animal suffer too long because they can't overcome their own emotions. I try to exercise caution and be thoughtful about this sort of thing. I hate killing animals, but I hate letting them suffer unnecessarily even more, so I do what I have to do, and I do it correctly, quickly and as humanely as possible. Doesn't matter if it is an ant, cockroach, mouse, dog, horse, ground squirrel or gopher.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I did not mean saying to torture the animal is right. But feeding it live to an animal isn’t something to be ashamed of, as that’s how it is in nature.
I appreciate the further explanation, but there is more to it than simply "not torturing" the mouse. In my opinion, people who have predatory animals have a responsibility to see to it that prey animals suffer as little as possible. I haven't fed a live mouse or rat to a snake since the 80s. No need for it. It is better for predator and prey if the mouse is humanely euthanized, pre-killed, before being fed to the snake. Prey animals also need to be housed comfortably and fed well before being fed out. They should be in clean, sanitary conditions and not too hot or too cold. In short, they should be properly cared for.

Destben

Kansas
I appreciate the further explanation, but there is more to it than simply "not torturing" the mouse. In my opinion, people who have predatory animals have a responsibility to see to it that prey animals suffer as little as possible. I haven't fed a live mouse or rat to a snake since the 80s. No need for it. It is better for predator and prey if the mouse is humanely euthanized, pre-killed, before being fed to the snake. Prey animals also need to be housed comfortably and fed well before being fed out. They should be in clean, sanitary conditions and not too hot or too cold. In short, they should be properly cared for.

I tried frozen but my snakes are killers and are super picky.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
That is a bit extreme. It's a living thing and can feel pain just like you. The OP has a very big heart and I don't blame her. Reason I would never have any animal that has to be fed live animals. Bugs I can do.
When it comes to animals or any kind and someone's heart/feelings, little more tack would be more appropriate.

Of course they can feel pain, anything with a properly functioning brain can. Nothing I said was meant to be offensive or embarrassing. This a forum is meant to express opinions and facts to better the knowledge of each other (no hard feelings). Although my opinion is that snakes eat rats and it should stay that way. If you got a rat to feed to your snake then I’d say feed it. But if nothing convinces you and you’re already attached to the little one then it’s your choice to keep him. If you choose to keep him as a pet I’d suggest a hamster/typical rodent setup with a “treadmill” and all the fun stuff lol. Good luck with him and keep us updated with the success.

Destben

Kansas
Of course they can feel pain, anything with a properly functioning brain can. Nothing I said was meant to be offensive or embarrassing. This a forum is meant to express opinions and facts to better the knowledge of each other (no hard feelings). Although my opinion is that snakes eat rats and it should stay that way. If you got a rat to feed to your snake then I’d say feed it. But if nothing convinces you and you’re already attached to the little one then it’s your choice to keep him. If you choose to keep him as a pet I’d suggest a hamster/typical rodent setup with a “treadmill” and all the fun stuff lol. Good luck with him and keep us updated with the success.

No offense taken I know it seems crazy and this is the exact reason I don’t stick around for the feedings. I will definitely keep updating. From what I’m told he’s almost old enough to start weaning if he was much smaller I doubt I would be able to take care of him at all.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know you didn't mean to offend. It was just a little harsh in my opinion. Believe me, I can get right to the point and sound harsh too, I do it a lot when a animals well being is in question. Just, have to check your thoughts when it comes to the love or care a person has for an animal they are caring for, specially when it's an animal most people just want dead.

Melis

Maryland
I know you weren't addressing me, but it is an interesting question to me: Where to draw the line?

For me, I have to intentionally detach my emotions and heart strings and engage the logical portion of my brain. Is this animal suffering? Is there any chance of survival/recovery? Is survival/recovery likely? How much pain and suffering will be incurred if there is even a chance of survival/recovery? What will happen to the animal if it does survive or recover? What kind of life will it have? Is it a pest species? Is it an introduced, non-native species that shouldn't be loose in the wild anyway? What is the best course of action I can take for this individual animal? What is the "right" thing to do?

Everyone is likely to have different answers for each of these questions, but these are the things that run through my mind when confronted with a situation like this. I have seen some people that I think were too quick on the draw, and I have seen some people who let an animal suffer too long because they can't overcome their own emotions. I try to exercise caution and be thoughtful about this sort of thing. I hate killing animals, but I hate letting them suffer unnecessarily even more, so I do what I have to do, and I do it correctly, quickly and as humanely as possible. Doesn't matter if it is an ant, cockroach, mouse, dog, horse, ground squirrel or gopher.
Absolutely. I believe even the most minuscule creature deserves to be treated humanely. But I am also one of those people that have a very hard time determining when to turn off the emotional side of my brain, and turn on the logical side. I was a biology major, so the concepts always make sense, for example eradicating invasive species is a no brainer; that is until I have to see the animals in question lol. I grew up in a house where my grandmother would put out sticky traps to catch mice, and I would always get in trouble for throwing them away. But of course I understand that no one wants to live in a house infested with rodents, I would just hope they act humanely.
I've come across people with the "it's just a ___, who cares" mentality. Even friends and family a few months back who questioned my decisions to spend a lot of money on care and having a feeding tube surgically inserted into my tort. It was "just a turtle".
Although I may not always agree with all the opinions expressed here, I love reading the differing views from people all over the world

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Absolutely. I believe even the most minuscule creature deserves to be treated humanely. But I am also one of those people that have a very hard time determining when to turn off the emotional side of my brain, and turn on the logical side. I was a biology major, so the concepts always make sense, for example eradicating invasive species is a no brainer; that is until I have to see the animals in question lol. I grew up in a house where my grandmother would put out sticky traps to catch mice, and I would always get in trouble for throwing them away. But of course I understand that no one wants to live in a house infested with rodents, I would just hope they act humanely.
I've come across people with the "it's just a ___, who cares" mentality. Even friends and family a few months back who questioned my decisions to spend a lot of money on care and having a feeding tube surgically inserted into my tort. It was "just a turtle".
Although I may not always agree with all the opinions expressed here, I love reading the differing views from people all over the world
When people question what I do for my animals or how much I pay for them or how many I get, I always tell them that when they start paying my bills and caring for my family, that's when they can have a say about what I do with my money.
Then if I can turn it back on them, because they "waisted" money or time on whatever, I will do that too.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I feel you. I won’t even kill cockroaches because I feel bad for them! I’m going to have a hard time with euthanasia when I’m a vet.
I would personally do the best that I could to do as much research as possible to care for it correctly. That’s just me though, and you should definitely consider all options.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
My daughter has been successful in raising Rats from feeder pinkies.... She's also been unsuccessful. The trouble I think was keeping them warm. She's not here right now to ask. Sometimes she would put one on her chest (cleavage) to keep it warm while watching TV... Try you tube videos...

Destben

Kansas
My daughter has been successful in raising Rats from feeder pinkies.... She's also been unsuccessful. The trouble I think was keeping them warm. She's not here right now to ask. Sometimes she would put one on her chest (cleavage) to keep it warm while watching TV... Try you tube videos...

Good to know. I’m using a reptile heat pad that’s keeping a small area he sleeps in between 80-86f and the rest room temp. I am feeding him puppy milk. He’s a fuzzy almost a hopper and the breeder I talked to said he’s real close to opening his eyes. We just got done with feeding 3 so far so good (knock on wood)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
He’s strictly milk till his eyes open but I will try that after they do I bet it would get mushy enough for him to eat if I mixed it with the milk.
I would start offering it now, but not mixed with anything, just old dry bread. Many years ago I was told this trick and used it many times when I was raising mice for the pet trade, at that time no one could explain why it worked, but it does help pre weened mice make it to adulthood. leave small pieces of the bread near it and it should find the bread start chewing on it even if it doesn't have teeth yet. You do as you please though this is only a suggestion.

Destben

Kansas
I would start offering it now, but not mixed with anything, just old dry bread. Many years ago I was told this trick and used it many times when I was raising mice for the pet trade, at that time no one could explain why it worked, but it does help pre weened mice make it to adulthood. leave small pieces of the bread near it and it should find the bread start chewing on it even if it doesn't have teeth yet. You do as you please though this is only a suggestion.

Oh I see I will give it a try thanks [emoji16]

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa

I was a BAT rehabber. Bats have always gotten the short end of the stick, so to speak. bc of myths and old wives tales, there was a lot of fear regarding these wonderful creatures. They can live up to 25 years, and their intelligence has been compared to that of dolphins. I raised orphaned babies from the time their eyes were still closed and they had an umbilical still on them, to the point ot release. These animals are amazing and yet, people still have no problem killing them. I don't think any animal deserves to suffer. A quick and painless death is not a bad way to go. But suffering just hurts my heart.