Baby mouse/rat

OMary

Location (City and/or State)
Moscow, ID
Have you been able to get it to urinate and poop yet? If not, try rubbing the warm, wet q-tip quickly (but not too hard). I volunteered at a wildlife center years ago and had to potty baby squirrels and raccoons. You can probably find a YouTube video of you aren't already rubbing like that.

Destben

Kansas
Have you been able to get it to urinate and poop yet? If not, try rubbing the warm, wet q-tip quickly (but not too hard). I volunteered at a wildlife center years ago and had to potty baby squirrels and raccoons. You can probably find a YouTube video of you aren't already rubbing like that.

He seems to be pooping and peeing on his own thankfully because he’s skiddish around me still. I was able to stimulate during our last feeding because I got a stuffed animal for him to cuddle and he flips over and tries to nurse itIMG_7841.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I’m using a paint brush right now but I’m not use if he’s getting enough in his mouth View attachment 231483
Hi, I'm Teresa's daughter, I wanted to get on here and help you out. I've hand raised a few rats from infancy. The most important thing to remember is that you need to make sure he's being paced. If you're giving too much, he can aspirate it. Soy formula is the closest milk supplement and you're correct in using a tiny paint brush because it encourages them to eat on their own. They will generally start to try to turn away from the brush when they're done. I'd offer food every hour until he understands what it is and how to communicate with it. Also, make sure you're stimulating the belly after each meal and then use a q tip or cotton ball to stimulate him to pee and poo. There should be about 3 pees for every poo and make sure you do it religiously, it's incredibly important to toilet them as they can't do so themselves. Also, if he's not eating or you feel he may not be warm enough, stop the feed until you have warmed him (I use hot hands on the go or in emergencies). I hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions, my mom can relay! <3

Destben

Kansas
Hi, I'm Teresa's daughter, I wanted to get on here and help you out. I've hand raised a few rats from infancy. The most important thing to remember is that you need to make sure he's being paced. If you're giving too much, he can aspirate it. Soy formula is the closest milk supplement and you're correct in using a tiny paint brush because it encourages them to eat on their own. They will generally start to try to turn away from the brush when they're done. I'd offer food every hour until he understands what it is and how to communicate with it. Also, make sure you're stimulating the belly after each meal and then use a q tip or cotton ball to stimulate him to pee and poo. There should be about 3 pees for every poo and make sure you do it religiously, it's incredibly important to toilet them as they can't do so themselves. Also, if he's not eating or you feel he may not be warm enough, stop the feed until you have warmed him (I use hot hands on the go or in emergencies). I hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions, my mom can relay! <3

This is very helpful thank you [emoji4]

Destben

Kansas
This is very helpful thank you [emoji4]

Hi,
Remy opened his eyes last night so I believe I’m supposed to start weaning him. I bought some baby cereal and put a tiny amount in his milk does that sound right?

Destben

Kansas

Hi,
Remy opened his eyes last night so I believe I’m supposed to start weaning him. I bought some baby cereal and put a tiny amount in his milk does that sound right?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Hi,

My daughter says.....
She can start intruding little bits of instant oatmeal, rice, and dry snacks (all from the baby isle) but to make sure he still has access to milk supplements around the clock for the next 2 weeks. In a day or two she can start introducing a shallow bowl (like a jar lid) with the formula so he can learn to feed himself that way but right now he probably can't see super well so make sure she's still feeding him by hand at least until tomorrow. Otherwise though, he's out of the woods. Hard part is over, just 2 more weeks of formula and he'll be healthy as a horse!

Hope this helps! Good luck. My daughter has another baby rat she's gotten at the Tampa Repticon yesterday.

Destben

Kansas
My daughter says.....
She can start intruding little bits of instant oatmeal, rice, and dry snacks (all from the baby isle) but to make sure he still has access to milk supplements around the clock for the next 2 weeks. In a day or two she can start introducing a shallow bowl (like a jar lid) with the formula so he can learn to feed himself that way but right now he probably can't see super well so make sure she's still feeding him by hand at least until tomorrow. Otherwise though, he's out of the woods. Hard part is over, just 2 more weeks of formula and he'll be healthy as a horse!

Hope this helps! Good luck. My daughter has another baby rat she's gotten at the Tampa Repticon yesterday.
I haven't been able to get him to pee since yesterday morning and I am taking him for a check up at the vet later today. He doesn't look dehydrated but hes been eating alot and not going number 1 only number 2.

Destben

Kansas
Update
Remy is doing well. He went to the vet yesterday and got a clean bill of health and a little fluids just to make sure he’s hydrated. The vet even gave me a discount for my “frequent flyer miles” lol. I have 6 pets don’t judge jk lol.
Remy is now eating baby cereal mixed with formula as well as his normal straight formula feedings. He is also going potty on his own so that’s a plus.

Last edited:

Destben

Kansas
This is a very fun thread. Thank you for the update! I have 7 pets not including our pond with fish that expect their feeding every day at 4:30. But I haven't earned any "frequent flyer miles" yet.o_O

I take mine to the vet a lot for check ups and stuff lol . I have 2 dogs (One is deaf and gets ear infections and had ear mites, worms and fleas when we picked him up from the pound) 2 snakes One we rescued Saturday (she’s under weight and sickly from petsmart care), a baby mouse (he went to make sure he’s hydrated mostly), and a leopard tortoise names Torterra who was a frequent flyer due to the wrong set up in the beginning (Tom straightened me out). I just like to rescue if I can and they seem to not always be in the best health. IMG_5586.jpgIMG_2066.jpgIMG_7737.jpgIMG_7160.jpgIMG_7867.jpgIMG_7821.jpg

Destben

Kansas
2 appaloosa horses
5 dogs( 3American Hairless Terrier, 2 Chinese Crested)
4 box turtles
3 gargoyle geckos
1 grey tree frog.

I guess that makes 15. Unless you count my husband that would be 16.
I don't know how you do it! As it is I'm getting up at 5 am to take care of mine before work lol. that not including getting up every 2 hours to turn Remy's heating pad back on (stupid safety shut of lol) and one nightly feed.