Baby red foot

Mrytleturtle

Hello, I've recently "rescued" a baby cherry head tortoise...I'm worried because his eyes are puffy and his lids are white...he will open them if you wet him down....I haven't seen any nose bubbles though...he won't really eat anything...he took a few bite of cucumbers today...he ignores kale and other greens...any advice would be greatly appreciated...

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
He sounds like he's in not optimal conditions. Like said above... We need to know more to help you.

Temperature
Humidity
Substraight
Lighting
Food type
Soaks

Post up pictures of your tort and it's enclosure so we can help you.

Is this your only Redfoot? Your only tortoise? Where did it come from and do you know how it was cared for?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

A tortoise won't eat if his eyes are stuck shut. First of all the light. Like was said above, if it is the coil-shaped compact fluorescent bulb, get rid of it immediately. Next is the heat. Tortoises need to be kept warm. He needs to be in a habitat that is in the 80'sF. A tortoise that isn't warm enough won't eat. The first symptom when a tortoise stops eating is swollen shut eyes.

Soak the tortoise in Gerber strained carrots mixed with a little water for at least a half hour every day. I use carrots because it has the highest vitamin A content.

Mrytleturtle

His temps are 79 and his humidity is 85%...I uses cocoanut coir with sphagnum moss...I was using the wrong bulb so a new one of those is needed...I have offered kale, escarole,endive, cucumber, and tomato...I did read about the baby food soaks and have been doing it twice a day for 45minsimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 19

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I think @Tom was looking to research those bulbs when eye problems were present. Can you please take the bulb out asap and hang onto it in case he replies. Would be great to see this study take place.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your temperature is to low needs to be closer to 85/90 . The humidity can be a little higher . But I would heat the enclosure up . If you are using a coil type uvb lamp get it out of there . Use a mvb or tube type fluorescent bulbs . They cost more but they don't burn the eyes out of your tortoise . You can check out tortoise library. Com and get alot of good info.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yeah 79 is a bit low. My night time temps are 79-80 and my daytime temps 84-88 with a basking spot at 95.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)