Baby sulcata tortoise lighting/heating

Brittanyp1113

Location (City and/or State)
Midlothian Texas
Hi I'm new & I just got a 1 month old sulcata tortoise. Currently I have him in a 20 gallon long tank with the sides darkened out so he's not constantly trying to get through the glass. I have a question about lighting & heating for my little man. I have a power sun 80 watt bulb ive attached the pic. I also have a heat emitting bulb 60 watt. Is that all i need for him?Screenshot_20240819-122818_Amazon Shopping.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, wrong kind of bulb.
You want an incandescent FLOOD bulb for basking, a tube fluorescent for uvb and ceramic heat emitter or radiant heat panel for night heat and any needed extra day heat.

Brittanyp1113

Midlothian Texas
No, wrong kind of bulb.
You want an incandescent FLOOD bulb for basking, a tube fluorescent for uvb and ceramic heat emitter or radiant heat panel for night heat and any needed extra day heat.
I have a flood bulb for basking as well I forgot to post that. So it has to be a tube fluorescent uvb? Where can I pick on up for reasonable?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I'm new & I just got a 1 month old sulcata tortoise. Currently I have him in a 20 gallon long tank with the sides darkened out so he's not constantly trying to get through the glass. I have a question about lighting & heating for my little man. I have a power sun 80 watt bulb ive attached the pic. I also have a heat emitting bulb 60 watt. Is that all i need for him?View attachment 377708
Hello and welcome! I'm glad you found us, and you will be too. It appears that you have received the usual incorrect care advice that almost everyone get. We will help you get everything set up right.

Those mercury vapor bulbs are not reliable and should not be used. They will also cause pyramiding in a young growing tortoise because of the way they make heat. Your 60 watt ceramic heat emitter should be fine, but you need a thermostat to control it and maintain the correct temperatures.

Here is all the correct care info:

Here is a bunch more info and an explanation of all the conflicting advice out in the world:

Read through each of these at least twice, and you will gain a much better understanding of what you need to do. Questions are welcome! :)