Baby sulcata's most ideal temperature.

jonathan23

Hi Guys,

I would like to know what is the most ideal temperature(degree celcius °C)for a baby sulcata.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
80 degrees, 26.67C. This is with an 80% humidity and a basking temp of 95+. If you haven't, please read Toms threads below in my post for proper housing and raising a sulcata.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Yea! That doesn't really work for me! For a baby, I like to keep it closer to 32.2ºC (~90ºF). Case in point...the ITs have NEVER experienced any temps lower than this...and they're thriving! You can drop the temps to 26.7ºC once they're a year old or so...but I'll probably hold out until they're two! Just my $.02

jonathan23

Yea! That doesn't really work for me! For a baby, I like to keep it closer to 32.2ºC (~90ºF). Case in point...the ITs have NEVER experienced any temps lower than this...and they're thriving! You can drop the temps to 26.7ºC once they're a year old or so...but I'll probably hold out until they're two! Just my $.02
I'm keeping mine around 32°C -34°C during the day and droping it to 29°C for the night. How does that sound?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no ideal temperature. They need a range. The cool side should stay 26 or higher day and night. The basking area should be close to 37 right under the bulb. They need to be able to move around and bask to maintain their core temp where they need it.

This will help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

cipherdale

Bandung
There is no ideal temperature. They need a range. The cool side should stay 26 or higher day and night. The basking area should be close to 37 right under the bulb. They need to be able to move around and bask to maintain their core temp where they need it.

This will help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
Hi Tom, the cool side temp must be not less than 80F right, sorry but this one is the ambient temperature on the cool side right, how about the surface temperature on the cool side cause high humid made the surface temperature became 76.5F while the ambient it self is 85F in cave
In cave ambient -> 80-85F
In cave surface -> 76.5-77.5F
Humid is 80%

I measure ambient temperature using sensor cable from the thermometer, i made a little hole on top of the cave and put the sensor cable there

For the surface temp inside the cave i measure using temp gun.

So if you dont mind to answer my question, how much surface temp should i must reach inside the humidbox (cave)

The substrate that i use is zoomed reptibark it made from fir trees so it hold humid quite good even i need to spray it with water 5-6 times a day.

But again im still confused about surface temperature on the cave since the ambient temp inside the cave is between 80-83F all night but the surface temp inside the cave is 76.5-77.5F

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom, the cool side temp must be not less than 80F right, sorry but this one is the ambient temperature on the cool side right, how about the surface temperature on the cool side cause high humid made the surface temperature became 76.5F while the ambient it self is 85F in cave
In cave ambient -> 80-85F
In cave surface -> 76.5-77.5F
Humid is 80%

I measure ambient temperature using sensor cable from the thermometer, i made a little hole on top of the cave and put the sensor cable there

For the surface temp inside the cave i measure using temp gun.

So if you dont mind to answer my question, how much surface temp should i must reach inside the humidbox (cave)

The substrate that i use is zoomed reptibark it made from fir trees so it hold humid quite good even i need to spray it with water 5-6 times a day.

But again im still confused about surface temperature on the cave since the ambient temp inside the cave is between 80-83F all night but the surface temp inside the cave is 76.5-77.5F
I don't measure surface temperatures. I use digital thermometers placed where I need them to measure temps. Place one inside your hide box area where the tortoise goes, and leave it for a few days and see what it shows you. Same thing for checking the basking area. Lay the thermometer on its back and let it cook, just like your tortoise will, directly under the lamp. This will tell you how hot the tortoise is getting under the lamp.

cipherdale

Bandung
I don't measure surface temperatures. I use digital thermometers placed where I need them to measure temps. Place one inside your hide box area where the tortoise goes, and leave it for a few days and see what it shows you. Same thing for checking the basking area. Lay the thermometer on its back and let it cook, just like your tortoise will, directly under the lamp. This will tell you how hot the tortoise is getting under the lamp.
Thanks for your answer Tom, im just worry about the surface temperature is so low in my case even the the ambient temp is in a good range.
As you already knew when you reach 80-90% humid the substrate became a little bit wet and cold, this is why i concern about the surface temperature

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks for your answer Tom, im just worry about the surface temperature is so low in my case even the the ambient temp is in a good range.
As you already knew when you reach 80-90% humid the substrate became a little bit wet and cold, this is why i concern about the surface temperature
Something is most likely off with your thermometer or heat gun. The surface should not be colder than ambient inside a closed chamber with 90% humidity. The only way the surface gets colder is if you have evaporation. At 90% humidity, there would be extremely small amount of evaporation. In a closed chamber there should also be little evaporation.

Bump your temperatures up. A baby sulcata should be at warmer temps. I believe the "optimum" temperature for a baby tortoise is the temperature at which the egg incubates properly. For a sulcata - 86°-89°.

Reactions: Tom

cipherdale

Bandung
Something is most likely off with your thermometer or heat gun. The surface should not be colder than ambient inside a closed chamber with 90% humidity. The only way the surface gets colder is if you have evaporation. At 90% humidity, there would be extremely small amount of evaporation. In a closed chamber there should also be little evaporation.

Bump your temperatures up. A baby sulcata should be at warmer temps. I believe the "optimum" temperature for a baby tortoise is the temperature at which the egg incubates properly. For a sulcata - 86°-89°.
I already bump my temperature, the cool side range between 30-31C and the hot side range between 31-33C while the basking spot is range between 34-37C but humid is only 50-60 at day and 65-70 at night

Fyi i use open top enclosure
But soak daily 45 minutes below direct sun while monitoring shell temp between 29-33C

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Closed chambers for tortoises that age aren't suggested just for humidity reasons but for heat reasons as well. As Tom stated, you won't have evaporation in a closed chamber set up, thus maintaining temps is easier. I suggest you consider covering your open top enclosure with a mini greenhouse or something of the sort.

Reactions: Tom

cipherdale

Bandung
There is your problem. These simply don't work and you are seeing it first hand. Your humidity is much too low.

Soaks don't help with humidity. Soaks just keep them better hydrated.
Yeap i have plan to buy closed enclosure, by the way how low they can tolerate the lowest humidity? The best i can do currently is between range 65-75% at day, and 75-81% at night

cipherdale

Bandung
Closed chambers for tortoises that age aren't suggested just for humidity reasons but for heat reasons as well. As Tom stated, you won't have evaporation in a closed chamber set up, thus maintaining temps is easier. I suggest you consider covering your open top enclosure with a mini greenhouse or something of the sort.
Yeap i have plan to use closed enclosure later

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeap i have plan to buy closed enclosure, by the way how low they can tolerate the lowest humidity? The best i can do currently is between range 65-75% at day, and 75-81% at night
How low can they tolerate? They can survive 10% humidity. Its not good for them though. It stunts their growth and causes pyramiding.

Every day they spend in low humidity is doing permanent damage.

cipherdale

Bandung
How low can they tolerate? They can survive 10% humidity. Its not good for them though. It stunts their growth and causes pyramiding.

Every day they spend in low humidity is doing permanent damage.
Hopefully i can get closed enclosure ASAP. 🤟