Baby tortoise uvb

Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Hello everyone. I have a baby sulcata tortoise and I’ve been temporarily using a compact uvb, which i just found out is not good for their eyes. Can someone link me to a proper uvb bulb? There are so many brands and different types of uvb lights out there, want to make sure i have the right one.

Also, my Sully’s humid hide is not staying warm enough, can i put a a warm heat pat underneath his hide to keep it warm? Or are tortoises like bearded dragons in that they cannot feel warmth on their stomachs, and can end up hurting themselves because they don’t feel the heat? Thanks for any and all advice

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm in the UK so I won't recommend bulbs. The ones you need are long fluorescent tubes.

Do you have a lid on you enclosure? It is impossible to keep an open tortoise table warm or humid enough

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hello everyone. I have a baby sulcata tortoise and I’ve been temporarily using a compact uvb, which i just found out is not good for their eyes. Can someone link me to a proper uvb bulb? There are so many brands and different types of uvb lights out there, want to make sure i have the right one.

Also, my Sully’s humid hide is not staying warm enough, can i put a a warm heat pat underneath his hide to keep it warm? Or are tortoises like bearded dragons in that they cannot feel warmth on their stomachs, and can end up hurting themselves because they don’t feel the heat? Thanks for any and all advice

Linear florescent reptile rated UV(B) bulbs:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8HAO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Are you using a ceramic heat emitter or reptile heating panel for night time heating? And to verify, is your tortoise currently in an open enclosure or closed chamber style enclosure?

Generic pet branded heating pads are not generally recommended because of their lack of safety measures and how they will burn a tortoise's under-shell if they come into contact with it in any way. Tortoises can sense and feel heat. Tortoises however, I believe can only feel vibrations on their carapace. A tortoise may continue to sit directly below a low burning heating pad until their inner flesh is warm or hot enough to signal them to move. Another member will probably do a better job explaining this better than I can.

Kane/Stanfield heating mats and reptile basic heating panels are highly recommended for adult Sulcatas.

Lewisville, Texas

Are you using a ceramic heat emitter or reptile heating panel for night time heating? And to verify, is your tortoise currently in an open enclosure or closed chamber style enclosure?

Generic pet branded heating pads are not generally recommended because of their lack of safety measures and how they will burn a tortoise's under-shell if they come into contact with it in any way. Tortoises can sense and feel heat. Tortoises however, I believe can only feel vibrations on their carapace. A tortoise may continue to sit directly below a low burning heating pad until their inner flesh is warm or hot enough to signal them to move. Another member will probably do a better job explaining this better than I can.

Kane/Stanfield heating mats and reptile basic heating panels are highly recommended for adult Sulcatas.

Lewisville, Texas
I'm in the UK so I won't recommend bulbs. The ones you need are long fluorescent tubes.

Do you have a lid on you enclosure? It is impossible to keep an open tortoise table warm or humid enough
Yeah, i cant use the strip lamp because i have a closed chamber, it’s too dry to keep it open

Lewisville, Texas

I am using an enclosed tub to hold humidity, and i cant use a longer linear uvb. Are there any uvb bulbs that could work for my tortoise?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
The setup I’m using wont allow for a longer strip lamp, I’m using a plastic tub with holes cut in the top lined with tin foil

Can you provide some picture(s) so we can see for ourselves?

Every single setup whether if it is an open or closed chamber style enclosure will have enough room for a linear florescent bulb provided that the size of the enclosure is spacious enough to accommodate it.

You can cut sections out of a lid or cover to rest a linear florescent fixture with reflector just as easily as you can with a regular lamp fixture.

Lewisville, Texas
Can you provide some picture(s) so we can see for ourselves?

Every single setup whether if it is an open or closed chamber style enclosure will have enough room for a linear florescent bulb provided that the size of the enclosure is spacious enough to accommodate it.

You can cut sections out of a lid or cover to rest a linear florescent fixture with reflector just as easily as you can with a regular lamp fixture.
I get out of school in a few hours, ill try to get some photos before i have work

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

You live in TEXAS! You don't need ANY bulbs at all! One or two hours a day in the sun is ALL your sully needs. As far as indoor habitats...little to no ventilation...air exchange occurs when you open the cage to clean, feed or take outside! Soak half an hour to an hour a day. Use a radiant heat panel for indoor heat!

Lewisville, Texas
As much as I’d love to take my tortoise outside for hours a day, i’m a high schooler with a part time job so I need some kind of uvb for him

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
You live in TEXAS! You don't need ANY bulbs at all! One or two hours a day in the sun is ALL your sully needs. As far as indoor habitats...little to no ventilation...air exchange occurs when you open the cage to clean, feed or take outside! Soak half an hour to an hour a day. Use a radiant heat panel for indoor heat!

I've lived in different parts of Texas for a number of years. In my experience, weather and temperature levels can fluctuate quite randomly at times. I remember golf ball sized hail, flooding, and 110+ degree weather all happen in the same month.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I've lived in different parts of Texas for a number of years. In my experience, weather and temperature levels can fluctuate quite randomly at times. I remember golf ball sized hail, flooding, and 110+ degree weather all happen in the same month.
Still! It's not Maine...or Connecticut...or Iceleand! There's sun almost everyday...and the worst day in the sun is better than the best day under ANYTHING artificial...but i take your point!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The setup I’m using wont allow for a longer strip lamp, I’m using a plastic tub with holes cut in the top lined with tin foil
You can get an 18" one, surely your enclosure is longer than that?