Baby Turtle Hatching

Rob1985

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast US
Hi,
After years, and dozens of my turtles' eggs dying (inside the house, out in the pen, wherever), I went to check on an outdoor nest today and found one pipping. Only survivor from a nest of 8. He/she seems to be struggling a bit to get out of his shell. Both front legs, one hind leg, and the head are out, but he does not seem to be able to make much more progress. He keeps flailing with his front arms, then rests, then tries again. He's actually dragging his whole egg around the small cage with him!

I've been sprinkling him with water periodically to keep him hydrated.

Is there any danger of him dying from exhaustion/over-exertion?

At what point should I intervene and try to gently remove the eggshell?

Thanks in advance.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi,
After years, and dozens of my turtles' eggs dying (inside the house, out in the pen, wherever), I went to check on an outdoor nest today and found one pipping. Only survivor from a nest of 8. He/she seems to be struggling a bit to get out of his shell. Both front legs, one hind leg, and the head are out, but he does not seem to be able to make much more progress. He keeps flailing with his front arms, then rests, then tries again. He's actually dragging his whole egg around the small cage with him!

I've been sprinkling him with water periodically to keep him hydrated.

Is there any danger of him dying from exhaustion/over-exertion?

At what point should I intervene and try to gently remove the eggshell?

Thanks in advance.
I would recommend gently removing the remaining egg shell from the turtle. I learned from experience that leaving them on the turtle/tortoise can cause quite a deformity if the shell fragment dries out and sticks to the baby.

Rob1985

5 Year Member
Northeast US
I would recommend gently removing the remaining egg shell from the turtle. I learned from experience that leaving them on the turtle/tortoise can cause quite a deformity if the shell fragment dries out and sticks to the baby.
Well , after reading your advice, and watching him drag his egg around the cage a few times, I gently peeled a few small pieces of egg shell off the top of his shell. He shot out of his egg shell like a bat out of hell. I think the the dome of his carapace was getting caught on the egg shell.

Yolk sack is almost completely gone, I'm wondering if he pipped several days ago and couldn't dig out of the dirt, it's been very dry around here until yesterday.

Anyway, thanks again.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Well , after reading your advice, and watching him drag his egg around the cage a few times, I gently peeled a few small pieces of egg shell off the top of his shell. He shot out of his egg shell like a bat out of hell. I think the the dome of his carapace was getting caught on the egg shell.

Yolk sack is almost completely gone, I'm wondering if he pipped several days ago and couldn't dig out of the dirt, it's been very dry around here until yesterday.

Anyway, thanks again.
That is quite possible. Good luck with the baby!

Rob1985

5 Year Member
Northeast US
Please remember to think "bog" with a baby box turtle!
Looking forward to pics!!

He looked like he was trying to eat the wet paper towels, so I took them out shortly after picture and just filled half the cage and tilted it to give him some dry spots.

Going to pet store tomorrow to get him some food and some hides. After seeing so many eggs die over the years, I was caught totally unprepared by his arrival.

turtquart.jpg