basking light or UVB or both

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Robertsdale, AL
For my torts I use a basking light for heat and a uvb light. They both have their own enclosure. Is it okay to use both or just one of them?

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
I use a MVB for both heat and uva/uvb. Then at night, I use a red heat bulb, only when it is too cold in the house of course.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
DocNezzy said:
I use a MVB for both heat and uva/uvb. Then at night, I use a red heat bulb, only when it is too cold in the house of course.

Same here but I use a ceramic heater at night, that way it doesn't disturb their sleep. :cool:

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I use a MVB for basking/heat and CHE's that control temp during day and when basking light goes off at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you buy and use a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) you only need one fixture for heat and light. Then, if its cold in your house at night, you have another fixture for night heat, either a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or black/red bulb.

flkustom

5 Year Member
mel262011 said:
For my torts I use a basking light for heat and a uvb light. They both have their own enclosure. Is it okay to use both or just one of them?

yes it's okay to use them both, but as everyone has said it is better to use a vapor bulb such as the zoo med powersun because it gives off UVB, UVA, heat and visible light all in one bulb vs having to have two bulbs and two fixtures.

I had a set up like yours before and I took it back (because I was still within my refund time) and got just one fixture and the powersun bulb

consider that each fixture is $10 - $15 and each bulb is $10-$20 so by the time you spend $40-$70 for the two light set up you could buy one zoo med repti sun and a fixture and save the space

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with all of the above, but also wondered what kind of "UV" bulb you are using. The coil type florescents can damage their eyes, and sadly, I see those for sale everywhere.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
I use a Zilla Slimline Desert Fixture with a Desert 50 UVB T8 flourescent bulb for my Russian tortoise. I use a tropical UVB bulb for my RF. It looks like a long tube to me. Bought them at PetSmart.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The tubes will not hurt them, but I have found them to be not very effective as far as providing sufficient UV. Redfoot experts should advise you about that species as I have very little experience with them. I have heard that due to their diet and the nature of at least some of them to avoid bright lights, you might okay with what you've got.

With your russian, if he gets sunshine in the warmer parts of the year, his set up is probably fine too. A MVB certainly would not hurt, but what you already have might be sufficient depending on your situation.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
I use a MVB during the day.
Then have a CHE which goes on an hour before the light goes off, and stays on for an hour after the lights gone on.

If it gets cold during the day (like yesterday was freezing) I put the CHE on during the day for a few hours too just to make sure it doesn't drop to cold. :)

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Okay, so the basking light keeps it warm in the enclosure. The basking light runs at 95 - 100 degrees. Is it okay like that?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Tom said:
The tubes will not hurt them, but I have found them to be not very effective as far as providing sufficient UV. Redfoot experts should advise you about that species as I have very little experience with them. I have heard that due to their diet and the nature of at least some of them to avoid bright lights, you might okay with what you've got.

With your russian, if he gets sunshine in the warmer parts of the year, his set up is probably fine too. A MVB certainly would not hurt, but what you already have might be sufficient depending on your situation.

I agree with Tom. My exotic vet took my tube light and checked it against my mvb and it was way better. So I use mvb for uva/uvb and heat during the day and red or black light at night.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Really...when push comes to shove...we should ALL be using MVB for daytime light/heat. And, just as beneficial for nighttime heat would be a good CHE. Playing it cheap is only gonna help your wallet....but the problems you could encounter later with your animal's health isn't worth it!

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
I think I am going to switch to a MVB and a CHE (since winter will be here soon). I don't use anything at night right now because I keep my apartment around 70 degrees all the time. It runs about 75 degrees in the enclosure.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Depending on the temperature of your house, you may be able to not have anything on at night. Same may be said for day time too. How old are these two animals? How much time outside do they get would you guess? Just thinking you may not need to have any UV light either.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Jacqui said:
Depending on the temperature of your house, you may be able to not have anything on at night. Same may be said for day time too. How old are these two animals? How much time outside do they get would you guess? Just thinking you may not need to have any UV light either.

I don't take them out often because I live in an apartment. My RF is about 2 yrs old and I think my russian is 3 yrs old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
mel262011 said:
I think I am going to switch to a MVB and a CHE (since winter will be here soon). I don't use anything at night right now because I keep my apartment around 70 degrees all the time. It runs about 75 degrees in the enclosure.

This will be your best bet. Further, if you set up a thermostat on your CHE and a timer for your MVB, you won't ever have to do anything and your torties will have the temps you want all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.