Basking light

Action

Location (City and/or State)
Valley Springs, Ca.
For a basking light I am using a 65w flood. It is as high as I can mount it and by the end of the day it works its way up to about 107 deg F. That is at top of shell. Pretty sure that is to warm ? Any idea if a 50w my lower the temp to closer to 100 deg F. ?
Thanks
Jack

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
How about a 60w deep heat projector and then but a thermostat on it?

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
I do not have 1 yet......trying to get everything set up first. I am after a sulcata hatchling.
Thanks
Jack

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the temp at tortoise shell height after the light has been on for about an hour in the morning?

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
maybe 95 or so...seems to hold 95-100 for quite awhile......seems the last couple of hours or so it wants to climb more. it has been on 5hrs and it is at 102........I

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Jack

Just for reference, it would be helpful if you put these questions on your original post about your enclosure build. That way we can look and see what type of enclosure and setup you are using that is producing the results you are questioning. I looked back at your other posts so I could answer...

I like to have a temperature reading right next to the basking spot, but not directly under the light. That is my "warm side" reading. Directly under the light, depending upon the type of thermometer/sensor, the direct IR can spike the reading quite a bit.

In your enclosure, you will have the temperatures climb through the day they way you have built it. That's a good thing. T5 fluorescent run hot and can overheat an enclosed system like this. I have gone to using only the T5s for UVB. Even at that, they are so effective, I have gone to shorter (and less wattage) tubes that work very well. For ambient lighting, I use standard screw in bulb fixtures mounted to the ceiling and then use 7 - 9 watt LED bulbs in the 5000K range. They are very bright and generate very little heat. I like them much more than the tube replacement LED's that go in a fluorescent fixture.

Here's the layout of the top of one of my enclosures to give you and Idea of the type of fixture I am talking about to ambient...IMG_0834.jpg