Basking spot

counting

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Can someone run me through their basking set up? General idea of set up, bulb type, fixture type? Do most of you use a rock that will hold some heat as a basking spot, plain substrate or wood? Give me a total run down on tortoise basking spots.

(Sorry for all the questions folks!)

Not sure if it makes a difference, but for a Greek :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Use a flood type bulb, not a spot. I usually use 65 watt bulbs and buy them in a 6 or 12 pack so I have extras on hand for when they burn out.
Use a ceramic based fixture, not a plastic type.
Hang the fixture from overhead. Don't use the clamps that come with it.
Raise or lower the fixture to get the correct basking temp under it.
Use a flat rock, a piece of slate or a piece of sandstone under the bulb.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Thank you so much! When you are just getting ready to start out there's actually so many little details to get right, especially when you want to get everything perfect!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Wait, follow up question!

In terms of the bulb what brand are you buying. Reptile specific? Because it looks like most of the regular flood bulbs around here are LED 65w equivalents. Which won't produce much/any heat. Maybe I'll have to just search around in stores.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wait, follow up question!

In terms of the bulb what brand are you buying. Reptile specific? Because it looks like most of the regular flood bulbs around here are LED 65w equivalents. Which won't produce much/any heat. Maybe I'll have to just search around in stores.

I tend to avoid pet shops and products marketed for reptiles with just a few exceptions. I use regular incandescent flood bulbs form the hardware store.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
The only pet shop specific items I'm considering are fixture for the basking light ( they have the proper ceramic socket type), and UV tube lights.

I'm just hoping there should be some non led/high efficiency flood bulbs when I look around.

Thanks for the help!

Leapin

I have a Red Foot and just read a post saying they don't need a basking light? Can anyone clarify?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
They don't need basking, some like it some don't but it is not required for a red foot. If you keep the overall tank temp at 85 degrees they will be plenty happy.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Use a Che on a thermostat for the heat and a long tube style uvb light on a timer

Leapin

I have a uvb tube on a timer for 14 hr a day 7am-9pm. I am using a che but I leave it on to maintain the temp on the warm side of the enclosure. I'm familiar with boxies (currently have a 3 toed) but am new to tortoises- I'm aware Red Foot care is different from the boxie- but I'm still doing a lot of research/learning. I am so excited to have Lucy and can't wait to build her a suitable table! Thanks for the helpful info- as usual!!!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
You may want to start your own thread specific to red foots :)

Jahkai

I agree with tom 100% but I don't know to much about Greek tortoises because I own a Sulcata tortoise but there temperatures are about the same. I use a 100w bulb it settles around 90 to 95 or sometimes 100 degrees and i also use a 10.0 UVB florescent bulb.