Bathing red foot

Kells Bells

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
Hi guys just a quick question..do you still bathe your tort if it has a big enough water bowl in its enclosure? Mine loves his dish and lies in it for ages:) so I was wondering if there was any need to bath him? He's 5 years old and eats and drinks like a champion

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi guys just a quick question..do you still bathe your tort if it has a big enough water bowl in its enclosure? Mine loves his dish and lies in it for ages:) so I was wondering if there was any need to bath him? He's 5 years old and eats and drinks like a champion
At that age I wouldn’t bother. As long as he’s spending time in the water. No harm in giving him a good 30min soak once a month. I don’t bathe any of my adults, but they have access to a large pond 24/7.

Kells Bells

Ireland
At that age I wouldn’t bother. As long as he’s spending time in the water. No harm in giving him a good 30min soak once a month. I don’t bathe any of my adults, but they have access to a large pond 24/7.
Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah he always climbs in and could sit there for a couple of hours I've found him sleeping in it, I picked him out and he just clambered back in and went back to sleep again:)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah he always climbs in and could sit there for a couple of hours I've found him sleeping in it, I picked him out and he just clambered back in and went back to sleep again:)
Are you sure it’s a he. Can I see the underside of him please.

Kells Bells

Ireland
Here you go:) I was told he was a male I've only had..him? a little while. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20181111_203101.jpg
    20181111_203101.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25

Kells Bells

Ireland
Ok just got my tape measure out and it comes to 17 cm or 6 1/2 inches. I had to bring him to the vets a few weeks ago as he had an eye infection but thankfully that is all cleared up. But she said he was a little small for his age. His previous owners kept him in a very small enclosure only suitable for a hatching really. When he went and slept in his hide he/she had to pull his head inside his shell as the front and back of the shell touched the walls of the hide. Could such a small enclosure have stunted his/her growth? Also his diet had been very poor iceberg lettuce, pellets and chicken.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ok just got my tape measure out and it comes to 17 cm or 6 1/2 inches. I had to bring him to the vets a few weeks ago as he had an eye infection but thankfully that is all cleared up. But she said he was a little small for his age. His previous owners kept him in a very small enclosure only suitable for a hatching really. When he went and slept in his hide he/she had to pull his head inside his shell as the front and back of the shell touched the walls of the hide. Could such a small enclosure have stunted his/her growth? Also his diet had been very poor iceberg lettuce, pellets and chicken.
Ok. He’s smaller than I thought. Still too young to sex correctly.
If I was you I wouldn’t feed any animal protein for a few months. If the last owner fed a high portion of protein, it could be the reason he’s sat in water all the time. Originally I was thinking it could be a female reaching maturity and wanting to lay eggs. I have some that sit in water for days when gravid.

Kells Bells

Ireland
Ok. He’s smaller than I thought. Still too young to sex correctly.
If I was you I wouldn’t feed any animal protein for a few months. If the last owner fed a high portion of protein, it could be the reason he’s sat in water all the time. Originally I was thinking it could be a female reaching maturity and wanting to lay eggs. I have some that sit in water for days when gravid.
Oh thank you for telling me that. I have only gave him some protein once since I got him so I will definitely stop for a few months. I will have to wait then to see if Toto is actually Totete :D

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I'm also one who doesn't soak. It certainly has its purpose, and one is not wrong to do it frequently. I provide mine with soaking dishes and humid burrows, so I don't see the need. I think soaking is useful for breeders who have several hatchlings and new keepers that are just learning the ropes.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My Redfoot is about the same size as yours he's 6" and I think about 3yrs old. It might not be necessary but I still soak him about once or twice a week.

Kells Bells

Ireland
Yeah i think I'm going to continue to soak him now and again he does enjoy it and I have to admit I enjoy watching him. I've added a picture of him in his bathing dish. He kinda looks like he's on a plate and I'm serving him up :D

Attachments

• 20181008_212123.jpg
    20181008_212123.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20