Cinnawho

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
Good evening everyone, Im currently as happy as can be with Daisy my red foot tortoise but the other day while i was bathing/soaking her I noticed this whitish mark on her right foot and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it is and whether or not i should be worried.

Thank you so much

IMG_0361.jpg

theguy67

10 Year Member!
It looks like it is on the surface. Have you tried scrubbing it off?

Cinnawho

Miami, FL
It looks like it is on the surface. Have you tried scrubbing it off?
I haven’t, in fear of hurting her is there anything you recommend scrubbing it with? I feel like the bristles of a toothbrush are too abrasive

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I haven’t, in fear of hurting her is there anything you recommend scrubbing it with? I feel like the bristles of a toothbrush are too abrasive

I am not familiar with tortoise pathology, so I can't say what it is (or isn't) specifically, but it looks like the tortoise brushed against something white. I would start with a towel or cloth. In all honesty, I would probably look at it with just using my fingernail, but that's just me.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
This may be as simple as a smudge of your tortoise's own urates. Try a cloth and some warm water at first. If this doesn't work, a gentle brushing with an old toothbrush may work. If these don't help, perhaps a close-up picture of the area might be needed.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It looks at least from what I can see like nothing I'd worry about.
Just wipe his foot off with a damp rag and get a good look at it. See if it looks like there's any physical damage, etc.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This may be as simple as a smudge of your tortoise's own urates. Try a cloth and some warm water at first. If this doesn't work, a gentle brushing with an old toothbrush may work. If these don't help, perhaps a close-up picture of the area might be needed.
What @orv said.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Do RF have urates? I’ve haven’t seen any in a year??
Hoping that your tortoise is properly hydrated, you should be able to see the results of his urination: a white chalky substance. Let us know what you're seeing.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I don't know about redfoot torts but my sulcata has never passed urates. I know that for him it is a good sign.

daniellenc

Maryland
Hoping that your tortoise is properly hydrated, you should be able to see the results of his urination: a white chalky substance. Let us know what you're seeing.

No urates ever. Soaked daily for 30-45 minutes, humidity always 80-90%, and he drinks readily. I have read redfoots don’t normally so I take it as a good sign.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
No urates ever. Soaked daily for 30-45 minutes, humidity always 80-90%, and he drinks readily. I have read redfoots don’t normally so I take it as a good sign.
Mine is juvenile RF, I soak him about 3 times a week, and he drinks readily too. Never seen urates either.

daniellenc

Maryland
Mine is juvenile RF, I soak him about 3 times a week, and he drinks readily too. Never seen urates either.

Yeah not all tort species do. I know he pees I’ve been spot changing substrate. Warm, humid, and pee equals ummmn smells. So I’m sure he’s hydrated just not the same as a Russian or Greek.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yeah not all tort species do. I know he pees I’ve been spot changing substrate. Warm, humid, and pee equals ummmn smells. So I’m sure he’s hydrated just not the same as a Russian or Greek.
Gotcha, good to know thanks. I'm still learning.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Redfoots are damp forest torts who’s body’s don’t separate dry urates from liquid like sulcatas. This is why they should always have access to drinking water. The white spot might be a lost scale, should heal. Maybe a small, small dab of neosporin.