Baytril for sick Sulcatas

2Sulcatas4Nicole

5 Year Member
I’ve already paid for all the baytri and don’t want to throw that money away, since I’ve read it can cause tissue damage I was wondering if I could mix it with saline and inject it into maybe a strawberry for each to eat?

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
Ceftazidime (Fortaz) is much better than Baytril for tortoises with respiratory problems. It is far safer and needs to be given less frequently (every 2 to 3 days as opposed to daily). Basically, it is a "new and improved" form of the Baytril family of antibiotics.

fortaz is what I've used on the turtles for at least the last 5 yrs or so , it works most all the time , I have needed bigger guns ...... I actually prefer forta over baytril , it doesn't bother them as much ...... but to tell the poster not to use the baytril her vet gave her , now they're debating throwing it out , ridiculous ........ fortaz is an excellent drug , but it is not baytril , I believe one is a cephalosporin , the other a quinolone ? baytril is a big gun as far antibiotics go , some of the bacteria these reptiles grow were in need of big guns it's why baytril was such a great drug ....... i'm going to guess that baytril has been studied in animals , and approved for use , hundreds of times more than fortaz ........

Tldmaft

San Diego
Mark1 ..... I was wondering if you had any evidence of muscle damage when using the baytril in tortoises? Abnormal walking on front legs and if so did it last or was it temporary?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Fortaz which is in the same family as Baytril

it is a "new and improved" form of the Baytril family of antibiotics

These statements are not correct. Cephalosporin derivatives and fluoroquinolone derivatives are not in the same family. Those named are two different families.

-----

Enrofloxacin is effective for pathogenic bacterial illnesses for which it is appropriately applied. Ceftazidime is effective for pathogenic bacterial illnesses for which it is appropriately applied. They have broad spectra of activity and there is much overlap for the treatment of aerobes, but some aerobic species are more susceptible/sensitive to one therapy versus the other. Enrofloxacin is not a good option for anaerobes relative to ceftazidime, but enrofloxacin will more effectively treat some aerobes for which ceftazidime is ineffective or less effective. The half-life of ceftazidime tends to trend lower than that of enrofloxacin, but this is a matter of species-dependent metabolism.

-----

Some species of animals may be more or less suited in tolerance for a given antibiotic or other drug. Tolerance will also vary between individuals within a species.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Never personally seen any permanent damage from it , they do know it can be necrotic to tissue at the injection site , although I’ve never personally seen that either . reactions at injection sites can and do occur with any drug I have used , it’s why you don’t inject it in the same place twice ......... the possible side effects of enrofloxacin are well documented , it’s been used and studied for a long time ……….. your not giving it to a healthy animal , your giving it to a sick often dehydrated undernourished anorexic animal , one that is in the process of dying , any antibiotic can be toxic in that instance …… most antibiotics are cleared by the kidneys , a dehydrated animal is not peeing , which increases the chance of side effects with any drug that is cleared by the kidneys .…… which is a reason not to give it every day or for extended periods of time in any form , and make sure the animal is hydrated to the best of your ability …. I don’t disagree , it is a potent drug and is often unnecessary , a less toxic alternative may work . I think most of the time the vets are guessing and enrofloxacin is not a bad guess …..

2Sulcatas4Nicole

5 Year Member
So it’s been 3 days now trying to give baytril orally and it’s not working, I’ve watched videos on how to get it into their mouths once I have their neck clamped I can’t get their mouths open to administer it, I also tried adding it to each ones food they take one bite and run. I’m getting frustrated

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
you have a script for baytril , it had to come from a vet ? whoever wrote it or filled it for you should be able to answer your questions ? as far as giving it to them by mouth , imo , that is a lousy way to properly dose them ....... who calculated your oral dose ? is your baytril 2.27% or 10% ? not to offend you , but judging from your questions it doesn't outwardly appear to be a good idea for you to be dosing your tortoises ? baytril is a potent , potentially toxic drug . administered properly it works well , administered improperly at best it'll be ineffective , at worst it'll be deadly ........

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
it appears your do not have a vet for your tortoises ? I am going to assume that an injectable antibiotic has different additives, preservatives , adjuvants , than does an antibiotic intended for the oral route . a 5% solution is 50mg/ml . if they won't try to bite you , forcing a big strong turtle or tortoise to open their mouth without potentially hurting them is near impossible , at least that's been my experience , I would contact a vet , with the lifespan of a tortoise and having 4 of them , I cannot imagine at some point you won't need one , you may actually need one now ........ I see no reason not to start a relationship with one who , if not experienced , is at least willing ...... personally i'm not one who will wait to see if they are going to get better on their own , if I know they're ill , i'm doing something about it , I've never killed one by putting them on antibiotics ......... I do however believe , misused , you can ..........

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So it’s been 3 days now trying to give baytril orally and it’s not working, I’ve watched videos on how to get it into their mouths once I have their neck clamped I can’t get their mouths open to administer it, I also tried adding it to each ones food they take one bite and run. I’m getting frustrated
Have you substantially raised the temperatures day and night?