Beak too long?

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Hi, does anyone think my Hermanns 'beak' (not sure what it's called) is too long or does it look normal? And if it is too long do I need a vet to clip it? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416428162.882150.jpg

phebe121

It looksa little to long i have leopards how big is he i just used toe nail clippers for mine just try and make it even with the side of his mouth maybe a little lower and clip it then file the area you clipped to make sure theres no sharp edges

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Shes 5 years old so ive been told. How do you measure how big they are?

phebe121

Put a ruler or tape measure agenst the wall and put your torts head agenst the wall and at there but us how long they are

katfinlou

5 Year Member
So can a vet trim her down? Im not experienced with this at all and would be too scared to hurt her if I did it myself

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Yes, a vet can trim them. They normally use a dremmel grinder on them. Once you have saw the vet do it, most likely you will be able to do it also. Be sure to be doing what you can to naturally keep the beak from getting too long. Things like feeding on a flat rock, plain terra cotta plant saucer, or a tile. Do not cut up the food, let him tear it himself. Feed all of the leaf, not just the nice soft leafy part (stems and ribs are good for beaks). Feed things like weeds and leaves, which don't get all the water and tender care, so they grow tougher.

phebe121

Yes you could call your vet and they could do it trust me its scary at first its there face

phebe121

Yes, a vet can trim them. They normall a dremmel grinder on them. Once you have saw the vet do it, most likely you will be able to do it also. Be sure to be doing what you can to naturally keep the beak from getting too long. Things like feeding on a flat rock, plain terra cotta plant saucer, or a tile. Do not cut up the food, let him tear it himself. Feed all of the leaf, not just the nice soft leafy part (stems and ribs are good for beaks). Feed things like weeds and leaves, which don't get all the water and tender care, so they grow tougher.

What about kale stems there big anfhard can my torts get threw that im always afraid they will choke

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Do you think i should try the natural route first for a week or two or just get it trimmed and use the stone plate/tougher leaves/stalks to keep it in shape after a trim

phebe121

My girl was about that long and i didnt work she just broke it and made it sharp where i had to cut it but u could try and give it time see if it wotks for you

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Ok, it's not stopping her eating at all, infact she never stops except to sleep at night bless her. Will keep a good close eye on her and see how she gets on. Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I feed my russian on a slate, and is beak has never been overgrown! It can easily be kept naturally short.
Tough, whole plants make a big difference! :D

katfinlou

5 Year Member
I think it's only the 3rd or 4th week ive had her. She came from a poor home, had never eaten greens, never had uv light or warmth. Ive done a crash course in trying to learn tortoise care and from what ive read she's nothing short of a walking miracle! I took her to my vet but didn't get past the receptionist who said she looked fine and that the beak wasn't too long. But the more pics ive seen on here the more I became convinced it was! That's why she's the receptionist and not the vet I suppose lol...the most help ive had is right here, this is a great forum with some fantastic friendly people who have been so patient and helpful for me and my little girl.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Feeding on a rock or hard surface won't correct this overgrowth. It's too advanced.

You should have a word with your vet about the receptionist overstepping her bounds and giving bad advice. It's not her job to diagnose. If the entire vet practice believes as she does, then they are clueless & you should find another vet.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Will she have to be put to sleep for the vet to trim it?