Bedding for my turtles

jorge0912

Location (City and/or State)
Brownsville Texas
So I am new to turtles and I have a pair of
Baby sulcata tortoise
I wanted to know if my bedding for my turtle is okay i used Timothy hay and some kind of coconut bedding dirt from pets mart that was for tortoise . If anyone can point me to the rigth direction. Also using a basking bulb and a uvb and UVA bulb.
they love to stay in the part of the hay .
Is there any other equipment I need or anything I should change ?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Read this care sheet it will explain your questions... and welcome to the forum! Pairs never work, they will attack, and eventually kill each other, seperate them immediately. Following is chasing, sleeping together is crowding, eating together is taking charge of the food. There may be no apparent signs yet, but soon it will be full on attack mode.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since they like to stay on the hay side, and you need to remove the hay because it molds, you can get some clean leaves off the ground and pile them up in a corner for them to burrow into. Leaves instead of hay. The babies need to be kept in a moist, humid environment. You can moisten the leaves, but you can't moisten the hay.

Please be sure to read the care sheet Golden Greek linked for you. We have new, up-to-date information on raising sulcatas, and it's all there in that link for you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I am new to turtles and I have a pair of
Baby sulcata tortoise
I wanted to know if my bedding for my turtle is okay i used Timothy hay and some kind of coconut bedding dirt from pets mart that was for tortoise . If anyone can point me to the rigth direction. Also using a basking bulb and a uvb and UVA bulb.
they love to stay in the part of the hay .
Is there any other equipment I need or anything I should change ?

Hello and welcome. To answer your question: Yes! There are many things you need to change if you want them to thrive and be healthy. Its all in that care sheet.

Sadly, most of the info you find on-line and out in the world from vets, breeders, pet stores, books, and "experts" is all wrong. We've been doing it wrong for decades and most people still are. So glad you found us!

Questions and conversation are welcome. :)

RioMarziliano

Fresno CA
I have a pair of redfoots that do just fine together... but sulcattas are a totaly different story they get pretty aggresive.