Been a Year. . . .

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
El Sobrante, CA.
Hi, Folks, just realized it's been a year since I arrived here, and a year since my Gigantor, Buddy passed away. (A Hermans)
It's always hard, the anniversary's of the passing of one of my kids.
I came here looking for answers before he passed, it did help.
And over the past year, I have learned a lot, and have tried to pass along info I have learned to other friends that also have tort's.
Thank you ALL for the conversations over the past year.
I've enjoyed your stories, trials and tribulations too.
I hope I have helped....
My best. . . Marsha?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi, Folks, just realized it's been a year since I arrived here, and a year since my Gigantor, Buddy passed away. (A Hermans)
It's always hard, the anniversary's of the passing of one of my kids.
I came here looking for answers before he passed, it did help.
And over the past year, I have learned a lot, and have tried to pass along info I have learned to other friends that also have tort's.
Thank you ALL for the conversations over the past year.
I've enjoyed your stories, trials and tribulations too.
I hope I have helped....
My best. . . Marsha?
Happy anniversary. I missed somehow that your little Buddy had passed. Sometimes for some reason I don't get all the posts but I'm glad you're still here. Did you ever get another tortoise? You should because you obviously love them. There's a lot of them out there that need the good help you could give them.?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Happy anniversary. I missed somehow that your little Buddy had passed. Sometimes for some reason I don't get all the posts but I'm glad you're still here. Did you ever get another tortoise? You should because you obviously love them. There's a lot of them out there that need the good help you could give them.?
Cathie,
Yes, I have two others, my buddy Gigantor was a hand me down, He was found by a co-worker on the Appian Way I-80, West bound Off ramp in Pinole, Ca., he was lucky to be found, I had him (I believe he, was a he) for 6 years. Prior to that another co-worker had found what the Vivarium In Berkeley, ca said was a "Gulf Coast Box Turtle" (I keep meaning to post a picture for possibly better Identification, by TFO experts) I believe she is a she, she was found in the middle of the street in NE Richmond Ca. She got named Bump, cuz she was a "bump" in the road. and I also have a Leopard, named Seymour, who is a growin fool. As my Screen name implies, I have a Menagerie. 2 Geese, 5 Ducks, 13 chickens, 5 Dogs, 9 Parrots, and my torts, and a salt water aquarium. Yes, I LOVE'm ALL. I don't have any human kids, so these are my, fur, feather and shell babies.
I'm so glad I ended up here with all you great folks ??

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Cathie,
Yes, I have two others, my buddy Gigantor was a hand me down, He was found by a co-worker on the Appian Way I-80, West bound Off ramp in Pinole, Ca., he was lucky to be found, I had him (I believe he, was a he) for 6 years. Prior to that another co-worker had found what the Vivarium In Berkeley, ca said was a "Gulf Coast Box Turtle" (I keep meaning to post a picture for possibly better Identification, by TFO experts) I believe she is a she, she was found in the middle of the street in NE Richmond Ca. She got named Bump, cuz she was a "bump" in the road. and I also have a Leopard, named Seymour, who is a growin fool. As my Screen name implies, I have a Menagerie. 2 Geese, 5 Ducks, 13 chickens, 5 Dogs, 9 Parrots, and my torts, and a salt water aquarium. Yes, I LOVE'm ALL. I don't have any human kids, so these are my, fur, feather and shell babies.
I'm so glad I ended up here with all you great folks ??
So good.? I don't have near as many animals as you but I would like to. But I have to be realistic about how much room I have to do all that. So I have one little Russian, a cat, only a few old grandpa Zebra Finches left, and the biggest critter of all! My brother ? the conversation here keeps me somewhat sane also ??

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
So good.? I don't have near as many animals as you but I would like to. But I have to be realistic about how much room I have to do all that. So I have one little Russian, a cat, only a few old grandpa Zebra Finches left, and the biggest critter of all! My brother ? the conversation here keeps me somewhat sane also ??
Cathie, I adopted most of them while I had a Partner living with me. She had parrots of her own and a dog & a Tort, but the relationship dissolved and she moved out, leaving me to care for the ones we got as a couple. The biggest problem is . . .What would I do If I caught Covid, or was in a serious accident, or other health emergency. Who the "H" could I get to come in here and run the household. My Partner now lives 40 miles away and cares for an elderly woman that needs daily care.
Additionally, It means I can NEVER go on VaCa.
Please do NOT get me wrong, I'm a somewhat introvert, and a homebody, And I LOVE ALL MY KIDS, all that being said...
BTW, I DO have a Marsha Household SOP, also a SOP for Wildfire Evacuation since I live in California.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Cathie, I adopted most of them while I had a Partner living with me. She had parrots of her own and a dog & a Tort, but the relationship dissolved and she moved out, leaving me to care for the ones we got as a couple. The biggest problem is . . .What would I do If I caught Covid, or was in a serious accident, or other health emergency. Who the "H" could I get to come in here and run the household. My Partner now lives 40 miles away and cares for an elderly woman that needs daily care.
Additionally, It means I can NEVER go on VaCa.
Please do NOT get me wrong, I'm a somewhat introvert, and a homebody, And I LOVE ALL MY KIDS, all that being said...
BTW, I DO have a Marsha Household SOP, also a SOP for Wildfire Evacuation since I live in California.
I get it. I did get covid. I want to get another beta but I'm afraid to now because I had such a hard time taking care of him and all of them. My little Arrow died by accident after I was getting better. But really I think the animals are why I was able to make myself fight so hard to not just lay down. I should do something like that though. Everything written down of what I do daily for each one...an activities of daily living or ADL sheet.?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I get it. I did get covid. I want to get another beta but I'm afraid to now because I had such a hard time taking care of him and all of them. My little Arrow died by accident after I was getting better. But really I think the animals are why I was able to make myself fight so hard to not just lay down. I should do something like that though. Everything written down of what I do daily for each one...an activities of daily living or ADL sheet.?
Yes, my SOP's give me peace of mind. Especially the Wildfire Evac SOP.
In that situ, you are in a rush and in a panic. Having the detail plan calms thing down a lil bit, and you don't forget things. . . provided you have enough time.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
To a certain extent, we do get tied down with/by our animals. It would be great if we had a vacation exchange service where you go take care of someone's pets while someone takes care of yours & you're going to areas you want to go to. I think I'd have to work too hard at Ellie May's or Yvonne G's. Snakes are out, also.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
To a certain extent, we do get tied down with/by our animals. It would be great if we had a vacation exchange service where you go take care of someone's pets while someone takes care of yours & you're going to areas you want to go to. I think I'd have to work too hard at Ellie May's or Yvonne G's. Snakes are out, also.
I couldn't go anywhere overnight. My tortoise and birds would be alright. BUT I would have to take Joe, my bunny, and the cat and where's the vacation with that. Razberri would have to be in a cage and she won't do her business in the litter box in it. She thinks it's her nest. Joe would make so many messes it would take me days to clean it up. And Dilly would climb every curtain in the house looking for Joe (even though I'm the one that takes care of him). I wouldn't stick this on anyone so I guess I'll just be a homebody. And besides that Dilly would take over my spot on the couch if I left him home and I'd have to play heck getting it back ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I couldn't go anywhere overnight. My tortoise and birds would be alright. BUT I would have to take Joe, my bunny, and the cat and where's the vacation with that. Razberri would have to be in a cage and she won't do her business in the litter box in it. She thinks it's her nest. Joe would make so many messes it would take me days to clean it up. And Dilly would climb every curtain in the house looking for Joe (even though I'm the one that takes care of him). I wouldn't stick this on anyone so I guess I'll just be a homebody. And besides that Dilly would take over my spot on the couch if I left him home and I'd have to play heck getting it back ?
I have a long story I'll pm you sometime about. I hear you. I know how difficult all of this is because your animals are a concern but a lot of people don't understand Joe's needs & that you're his anchor. But I think a lot of people on the site here are special people, so you're not alone, so don't ever lose sight of that. We worry about each other. We care.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have a long story I'll pm you sometime about. I hear you. I know how difficult all of this is because your animals are a concern but a lot of people don't understand Joe's needs & that you're his anchor. But I think a lot of people on the site here are special people, so you're not alone, so don't ever lose sight of that. We worry about each other. We care.
Good do that. And yes I care also about so many people here. It's like I've actually met them. I've never found that on any other internet site. I'm thankful for the people here.