BEGINNING TO END (MY NEW ENCLOSURE) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield, Ma
I have done a LOT of NEW changes. I wanted to see what everyone thought about the enclosure.... I'm going to be putting everything inside the enclosure today and decorating the inside today. THEN I will put the doors up. I wanted to do those last. What does everyone think about the outside of the enclosure? :)

Attachments

• 100_2047.JPG
    100_2047.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 154
  • 100_2042.JPG
    100_2042.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 144
  • 100_2046.JPG
    100_2046.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 195

ashleym

5 Year Member
If you don't mind, could you give a rough estimate of the costs of your materials? My S/O has plenty of tools to do these kinds of things and we really need to build an enclosure soon but I want to get a general idea of a cost for something like this. It looks great. I like the size of it also.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
ashleym said:
If you don't mind, could you give a rough estimate of the costs of your materials? My S/O has plenty of tools to do these kinds of things and we really need to build an enclosure soon but I want to get a general idea of a cost for something like this. It looks great. I like the size of it also.

Thank You :)
This whole thing must of cost about $200 total with everything I needed & wanted to go in there.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Here are the photos of inside the NEW enclosure. I thought it came out ADORABLE...... I haven't put water in the pool yet. It isn't deep at all.... I'm not all the way done with it yet but I'm still working on it. I wanted to show everyone how it is coming along HOPE everyone likes it.....

I'm thinking of doing a Fall/Halloween theme in this enclosure. So once I finish this part I will show some more photos. :)

Attachments

• 100_2066.JPG
    100_2066.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
  • 100_2060.JPG
    100_2060.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
  • 100_2068.JPG
    100_2068.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
  • 100_2067.JPG
    100_2067.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 110
  • 100_2065.JPG
    100_2065.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 132

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Wow that looks really good and creative[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I'm sure they will love all that grass too. How did you get it to grow so well inside?

txturtle13

5 Year Member
It looks awesome!! Where did you get that pool? I've been looking for one just like it!

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Well I didn't grow the grass in there. What I did was bought grass from a Nursery down the street from me. It is called sod. Just make sure they use NO pesticides. It was a PERFECT measurement too. They sell them 5'X2' and my enclosure is 4'X2' so I ripped it down about a foot & a half from 1 end and then used a full page of top soil on the 75% part.
For the Redfoot Tortoise Mix I first started these in those planter things that have 72 holes in it. Then you put the soil then seeds then a little more soil on the top. I left it outside for about ahhhhhh 2 weeks and watered it in between. Then I just took them out of those little trays and planted them right into the soil. I got these seeds from a lady that has a few different tortoise mixes. I was pretty impressed with the seeds because in a few days I could already see little sprouts. So I highly recommend this site. :)
Darn thought I had the site I will post it once she emails me back with the site :)

txturtle13 said:
It looks awesome!! Where did you get that pool? I've been looking for one just like it!

I got this at a Nursery down the road from me. It is PERFECT for the tortoises. It isn't deep at all. They can even soak in this too with NO problem. They even have PLENTY to munch on. :)

TortLaw

5 Year Member
Colorado
Love it! You're making me thinking of building my own enclosure.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
TortLaw said:
Love it! You're making me thinking of building my own enclosure.

Well it isn't hard. :)
I just had to wait a little so the smell was gone from all the wood conditioner, stain & the gloss after that I was good to go :p
It was VERY VERY VERY fun making this. I'm still not done. I was going to put plastic glass for doors but I think I might want to go with other doors. IDK yet. I'm still thinking. :p

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Ok so I couldn't find the site that I got the Redfoot Seed Mix. Like I said it is a GREAT mix I was seeing sprouts within days. I had them fully grown within a week and a half to 2 weeks. As you can see in my enclosure against the walls I in the soil I put the Redfoot Mix. I didn't put much around there because they have a TON of greens in there BUT of course I will be putting a LOT more in there after I see how Franklin & Lily do in their NEW enclosure. :)

Here is the site. Like I said in my 2 replies down I HIGHLY recommend this site for Redfoot, Sulcata & any other tortoises you may have. So go check her out. :)
http://www.sulcatafood.com/Store.html

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I think you did a beautiful job on your enclosure. It is just great!
Sherbet is adorable.
I wish I had your design talent!
How exciting for you!!

:). :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You are an inspiration for all!! Just beautiful and I love the design's on the outside. That little water feature looks like a little pond for a miniature garden I saw. Is that what it was meant for?

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
terryo said:
You are an inspiration for all!! Just beautiful and I love the design's on the outside. That little water feature looks like a little pond for a miniature garden I saw. Is that what it was meant for?

AWWW.... That means a lot to me. Thank you so much. I bought that pond/pool type thing at a store down the street from me and thought it would be a GREAT idea for my little tortoises. It is NOT to deep at all. It is perfect for them to go in there for a dip too :D
I did change it around a bit because the grass was dieing of course. So I had to take it out. What I did was took out the grass and then replaced it with soil. I did add some new things to it. I made a Halloween Theme in their enclosure. It actually came out GREAT. My daughter broke my camera so once I get my hands on a camera I will take photos of it. BUT I did leave the pond in there :)
Oh it is funny my hubby will NOT take an credit for this enclosure. I blue printed everything, Put it together, Sanded it, Stained it, glossed and EVERYTHING by myself. He was actually really impressed. Only thing he did was hold the big pieces I needed holded up for me and that is it. GREAT work for a female right :p

forujade00

5 Year Member
Maryland
ILoveTortoises2 said:
terryo said:
Oh it is funny my hubby will NOT take an credit for this enclosure. I blue printed everything, Put it together, Sanded it, Stained it, glossed and EVERYTHING by myself. He was actually really impressed. Only thing he did was hold the big pieces I needed holded up for me and that is it. GREAT work for a female right :p
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You go girl. I will also be building my daughter a new enclosure. GIRL POWER!!! LOL

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
forujade00 said:
ILoveTortoises2 said:
terryo said:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You go girl. I will also be building my daughter a new enclosure. GIRL POWER!!! LOL

LOL That's right GIRL POWER :D
Who said we need a man in our lives :p

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
What a great job! I love it. Love the progress pictures and girls being tough :D!! With our indoor we built I sealed the inside with Killz primer, it seals in everything and seals out any water, I then went further and lined it with visqueen so be on the safe side. I keep checking the wood since we use moistened coconut fiber, have sod, plants, humidifier going etc and I haven't seen signs of moister yet. Fingers crossed!
Can't wait to see updates and get cracking on our enclosures in the morning. Girl power, hehe.
ALSO our home depot brought in new plastic pots and the saucers that come with them are perfect for our 18 pound girl and little bitty! I was so happy they had new saucers. Who knew something so simple would bring such joy :p (perfect water containers have been hard to come by here!)

Any how, awesome job!!

Status
Not open for further replies.