Best Budget Enclosure Option

Alecjb12

Location (City and/or State)
Fayetteville, AR
Hello All,

I’m back after 12 years and it feels great to be apart of the community again! I’m here to share what I feel is the best option for those looking to provide a spacious, closed chamber enclosure for the best price possible.

After looking searching far and wide for an enclosure that could keep a large tortoise species indoors until ready for the outdoors, I came across grow tents. Grow tents are designed to be closed chamber to simulate whatever environment a botanist chooses, including temperature gradients, airflow, and humidity.

Realistically, from what I’ve read on the forum, you can house nearly any large species tortoise in an 8’x4’ enclosure until they’re big enough for an outdoor enclosure. I’ve also ready that an 8’x4’ enclosure can house smaller species of tortoise, like Russians, somewhat comfortably for their entire lifespan (although not optimal).

I was able to secure an 8’x4’ grow tent composed of quality material for $110 on Amazon, making it exponentially cheaper than most, if not all, conventional enclosure offerings on the market. A similar enclosure made of PVC or wood, though it may be more visually appealing, would cost in the several hundreds to thousands depending on the complexity and maker.

Here are some pictures of the enclosure. I’ve read from Tom that decorations are more for the owner than the tortoise, so I’ve kept the enclosure very simple with a humid hide, basking rock, and water dish for now. I plan to add some additional hide spots this weekend. Please feel free to make recommendations on what I should do to it!

(Note: You’ll notice I do not offer a source of UV yet, but plan to before winter. Right now, Binkie is getting 5+ hours of natural UV from the sun weekly.)

Current Enclosure Conditions (as of today)
Day Ambient: 83f-88f gradient
Night Ambient: 85f-80f as night progresses
Basking: 95f-102f gradient
Humidity: 80%-90%
Substrate: Cypress mulch topped with coco coir
IMG_8046.jpegIMG_8045.jpeg

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi! It's great that you discovered grow tents! And thank you for posting about them.

While you've been gone, the forum has also discovered grow tents! We've had several members use them for hatchlings and juveniles just as you are. It's interesting that you are using yours upright. Our members have turned them onto their sides to get the larger floor space with a smaller tent.

Here are 2 of them. The third is an adaptation of the grow tent idea. Yours looks good! (but I do like a little more "furniture", like plants, for cool hiding places. A personal preference thing.)

20200817_201932.jpg

20200601_124955.jpg

20200524_162330.jpg

Alecjb12

Fayetteville, AR
Hi! It's great that you discovered grow tents! And thank you for posting about them.

While you've been gone, the forum has also discovered grow tents! We've had several members use them for hatchlings and juveniles just as you are. It's interesting that you are using yours upright. Our members have turned them onto their sides to get the larger floor space with a smaller tent.

Here are 2 of them. The third is an adaptation of the grow tent idea. Yours looks good! (but I do like a little more "furniture", like plants, for cool hiding places. A personal preference thing.)

View attachment 375888

View attachment 375889

View attachment 375890
Those are all fantastic! It’s amazing how quick the community picks up new ways to properly care for their torts!

To answer your question as to why I didn’t lay it on its side: I didn’t have enough floor space for an 8’x7’ enclosure and 8’x4’ seemed to be a decent enough size to raise the tort until its move outside.

I’m definitely looking into adding some more hiding spots without removing too much roaming space. Plants seem to do the trick, but I’m afraid Binkie will just tear them apart / eat them.