best bulb

KrayKray

Location (City and/or State)
lubbock,tx
So I need opinions on the best bulb to use for my 2 leopard tortoises. Just recently bought a new and bigger set up for them and I was wondering if I need to go up from 100v. The set up I purchased is the Exo Terra Natural Terrarium, Lard Wide 36X18X18. Please and Thank You!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I was using the Mercury Vapor Bulbs, 100 watt was all I ever used. However, I've now changed over to the T-5 fluorescent UVB bulbs. I have found they are less desiccating than the MVB.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I need opinions on the best bulb to use for my 2 leopard tortoises. Just recently bought a new and bigger set up for them and I was wondering if I need to go up from 100v. The set up I purchased is the Exo Terra Natural Terrarium, Lard Wide 36X18X18. Please and Thank You!
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species like sulcatas or leopards.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. It helps to have a UV meter to test and see what your bulb is actually putting out at your mounting height.