Best Pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I don't know what the best one is, I mix them up, mazuri water turtle diet, t-rex, zoo med, petco brands,and catfish pellets sold at Tractor Supply.I also use fresh chicken gizzards cut to size.I found it easier to cut the gizzards with scissors. Len

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
ok like pellts are good but dont feed them all that give them variety in their diet because it makes them healthier like romaine lettuce, some carrot, earthworms, sometimes grapes, and pellets is what i feed on a regular basis but look up a diet plan for you that fits your turtles need mine is a RES so idk about yours but that is a good diet for them so yea good luck man :)
Prayer to the LORD Helps

xcourtney3

5 Year Member
I also have red ear sliders but they are hatchling size and I haven't been able to get them to eat anything other than Reptomin baby

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
And that is completely normal. Hatchling RES are primarily meat eaters. They will not begin to be interested in veggies until they mature a bit more.

Try blackworms or leaf worms, anything that wiggles.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
that depends on the species for my eastern snapper, ndbt they get zomed natural and hikari gold cichlid pellets and shrimp, crickets and variouse other live and frozen and dried foods depending on which turtle. oh and my spotted turtle he eats the same things as the snapper minus the fish. tadpoles, crayfish dragonfly larvae oh annd crickets and grasshoppers. well you get the point losts of different things. pellets should make up about half the diet. though with species that shift diets like sliders zoomed natural are really good because the pellets formula changes to coinside with the shifts. though without knowing which species you have i can't really make a recommendation. though if they are cooters stay away from high protien foods except when they are hatchlings and only in small amounts they are primary herbivores

the spotted eat the crickets and grasshoppers and other things not the fish

xcourtney3

5 Year Member
I have baby red ear sliders.

Since they are omnivorous would it be a good idea to supplement with a plant based pellet? If so, any ideas on which one?

Since they are omnivorous, would it be a good idea to supplement with a plant based pellet? If so, which one?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thomasina said:
Thank You so very much!

Hi Thomasina:

Please take a moment to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I like trout chow for my RES, and they also eat grape leaves as their plant matter, but hey are adults.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
xcourtney3 said:
Since they are omnivorous would it be a good idea to supplement with a plant based pellet? If so, any ideas on which one?

No, the babies NEED meat protein to develop correctly, if you try to force them to eat more veggie matter than protein at the early stage of their development, they will grow deformed.

They are not omnivorous as hatchlings, only as sub-adults/adults.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
yeah hatchlings are carnivores primarily, juveniles are oppertunistic omnivores meaning they will eat just about any thing where as adults are primary herbivores

Status
Not open for further replies.