Best substrate for russian tortoises?

TurtleyTom

Location (City and/or State)
Blairsville
I'm getting a russian tortoise in the near future and was wondering what the best type of substrate for them is. I've done a lot of research but there seems to be a lot of contrasting opinions. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I use cypress mulch, you have to mix some water in with it every now and again to keep the dust down. A lot of people also like orchid bark too. Whatever you purchase you need to be very careful to make sure it is free of chemicals. The stuff I buy is pet grade and is sold at Chewy.com (Forest Floor Cypress Mulch) it can be expensive though. A lot of forum members are able to get stuff from their local home improvement stores and may be able to recommend brands for you that are cheaper.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
If you get the cypress mulch just make sure it is 100% Cypress not a blend. I use the blocks of coco coir that you have to soak first, but then again I am a glutton for punishment. It is very true that they will drag it into and over everything. My best hide is an 8" diameter piece of PVC about 1' long that I buried about halfway in the substrate. Highly recommend the tote/christmas box setup. Make a check list for all your stuff- CHE, Temp Controller, hide, safe plants, terra cotta pot dish (it goes under the pot and is very shallow), laser temp gun, temp and humidity gauges, soaking tub. Getting the chamber dialed in first will save you headaches in the future. Good luck and welcome to TFO

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're asking for the best. In my opinion, the best way to keep a russian tortoise is in a safe and secure, well planted outdoor enclosure, using the natural dirt/weeds/grass as substrate. They hibernate, so cold weather doesn't matter. It's terribly hard to set up a full grown russian tortoise indoors, as they need a lot of room - minimum 4'x8' for one animal.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
OOPS. Yvonne is dead on for adults I assumed we were talking a baby. My outdoor pen is 3.5' x 12' and my Russian covers every square foot each day

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Yes of course outdoor accommodations are preferred. I currently house mine in 2 massive tort tables that basically take up an entire large room, (we are lucky to have the space) we are finalizing their outdoor enclosure which is where they would reside when temps are ideal.

Be mindful with keeping them indoors you will have bugs and they don't always smell pleasant. Do what you can to keep them outside its a much better quality of life. Oh and do not keep them in pairs research this forum for reasons why. Good luck and enjoy!