Best UV light?? NOT tube

OurTommy

Location (City and/or State)
UK
mikeh said:
OurTommy said:
mikeh said:
Tinkerbell said:
If mine is placed 12" above the substrate do I need a 12% T5?

At 12" height I would go with T5 6% to be on the safe side. Perhaps go with longer tube next size up, to get more UVB area coverage. You can also make a 2" hill under one half. This will create UVB levels from maximum UV index 2-3 on low end and 3-4 on high end.

Can I just get some quick clarification on what tube exactly you would recommend for my new table.
The sides are 8.5" high but substrate will fill up some of that.

A link would be very useful.

Thank you in advance.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. We moved the other members inquiry.

Can you post photos of the set up. It will just make it that much easier.

No worries.

I do not have the table yet. It has been ordered and is currently being made.

The pictures are of the one that I'm getting. It's going to be 40"x24" with 8.5" high sides.

Hope this helps. ImageUploadedByTortForum1391624961.126469.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1391624981.559892.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeh

5 Year Member
I am glad you posted photos. Very nice table. Love the house with chimney.

Given how skilled and creative you are with building I don't see a reason why you could not built a support structure for the fixture at any height you desire allowing you to use stronger T5 tube which provides much better visible light. It will be so much better for psychological well being of the animal.

How long and wide is the open portion of the table?

Sorry, didn't see that its being ordered. Can you have the person building it make a simple support structure if I give you details?

OurTommy

UK
mikeh said:
I am glad you posted photos. Very nice table. Love the house with chimney.

Given how skilled and creative you are with building I don't see a reason why you could not built a support structure for the fixture at any height you desire allowing you to use stronger T5 tube which provides much better visible light. It will be so much better for psychological well being of the animal.

How long and wide is the open portion of the table?

Sorry, didn't see that its being ordered. Can you have the person building it make a simple support structure if I give you details?

The cottage is 7.5" wide I believe so that means the outdoor section will be 32.5" long and still 24 wide. I did think of some sort of support but didn't want to ruin the look, hence why I originally posed the question.

What would you suggest? I'm sure I could make some minor alterations once it has arrived.

If not then is there ANY bulb that would do the job?

Thanks

mikeh

5 Year Member
Haha, you want form over function. I get that, but ideally you want the tube running length wise of the table not width wise. It will still look great. I'll make a sketch of support and present it to you.

OurTommy

UK
mikeh said:
Haha, you want form over function. I get that, but ideally you want the tube running length wise of the table not width wise. It will still look great. I'll make a sketch of support and present it to you.

Sounds great! Look forward to seeing it.

Thank you

mikeh

5 Year Member
Does the roof of the house come completely off or is the far side hinged for access?

OurTommy2

mikeh said:
Does the roof of the house come completely off or is the far side hinged for access?

The roof is hinged at the back so opens up.

P.s. I have been locked out of my account for forgetting my password. Have had to make another account as you can see but its still me.
roof.jpg

OurTommy

UK
mikeh said:

Right I'm back..was locked out of my account!

In answer to your question, yes the roof does hinge.
roof.jpg

mikeh

5 Year Member
1391645225708.jpg1391645240919.jpg

Not drawn to scale but basics are there. The height allows for 2-3" of substrate under the UVB light, closing the distance making for UV index 3-4 directly under the light. You mat get a higher wattage CHE or place a rock under CHE only to close distance by couple inches.

OurTommy

UK
mikeh said:
Not drawn to scale but basics are there. The height allows for 2-3" of substrate under the UVB light, closing the distance making for UV index 3-4 directly under the light. You mat get a higher wattage CHE or place a rock under CHE only to close distance by couple inches.

Thank you for that.

The L frame seems the easier of the 2. Is the UVB light the dark shaded piece that runs long ways at the end of the support? I probably won't be using it to mount my CHE as that can go into the fixture on the roof, as shown in my original picture. I also have a clip on light support so could always move it
anywhere I like anyway.

Please excuse my terrible drawing below but do you think something like that could work. If mount it so it angles downwards. Is there need for a reflector?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1391689546.926801.jpg

mikeh

5 Year Member
Yes the dark square indicates UVB fixture. The reason for the L shape is so that the fixture is placed dead in the middle of enclosure or close to it, to maximize tortoises UVB exposure.

Reason for CHE positioned right next to the UVB light is so when the tortoise basks under the CHE it receives UVB from the UVB light like it would when basking in the sun. You ideally want CHE right next to the middle of the UVB light.

Yes you want a reflector with the UVB tube, and the light needs to be mounted facing downward, not angled sideways as that can cause harm to eyes.

This is all in one including the 12% T5 tube and reflector.
http://reptiverseuk.co.uk/arcadia-t5-slimline-vivarium-luminaire---limited-stock-1175-p.asp

OurTommy

UK
mikeh said:
Yes the dark square indicates UVB fixture. The reason for the L shape is so that the fixture is placed dead in the middle of enclosure or close to it, to maximize tortoises UVB exposure.

Reason for CHE positioned right next to the UVB light is so when the tortoise basks under the CHE it receives UVB from the UVB light like it would when basking in the sun. You ideally want CHE right next to the middle of the UVB light.

Yes you want a reflector with the UVB tube, and the light needs to be mounted facing downward, not angled sideways as that can cause harm to eyes.

http://reptiverseuk.co.uk/arcadia-t5-slimline-vivarium-luminaire---limited-stock-1175-p.asp

Cheers for your help. New table should be here next week or week after so look forward to getting it sorted!

Thanks again.

Just to ask an obvious question. If I was to have a 6% then that jugs means it would have to be lower?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Best UV light?? NOT tube

OurTommy said:
mikeh said:

Cheers for your help. New table should be here next week or week after so look forward to getting it sorted!

Thanks again.

Just to ask an obvious question. If I was to have a 6% then that jugs means it would have to be lower?

Correct. Give yourself 3" depth for substrate first, then 11-13" distance with 6% tube from substrate to the light. 16-18" distance with 12% tube.

The only reason I'd go with 12% as it allows higher wattage CHE to be mounted higher, if you mount it next to UVB like in the diagram, creating wider basking area. With 6% light, the CHE will be positioned lower and lower wattage may be needed creating narrower basking area. Aesthetically higher placed fixture would look better.

Either way can work.

Hope you post photos of the table in action!

OurTommy

UK
mikeh said:
OurTommy said:
mikeh said:

Thanks again.

Correct. Give yourself 3" depth for substrate first, then 11-13" distance with 6% tube from substrate to the light. 16-18" distance with 12% tube.

The only reason I'd go with 12% as it allows higher wattage CHE to be mounted higher, if you mount it next to UVB like in the diagram, creating wider basking area. With 6% light, the CHE will be positioned lower and lower wattage may be needed creating narrower basking area. Aesthetically higher placed fixture would look better.

Either way can work.

Hope you post photos of the table in action!

And CHE you'd say 100w, 150w?

Just another quick point. Will I need to make any changes to the actual power supple that controls the bulb? Or simply buy the new bulb as a direct replacement for what I'm using now?

mikeh

5 Year Member
I can't help with CHE as I don't use them. My guess would be 100watt if its higher distance and lower wattage if you go with the lower set up. Bottom line is the basking temperature under the CHE should be 100F give or take.

I don't know what power supply you use now. Ceramic housing like shown in your 1st photo would work.