Best worms for protein

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So what worms are the best to feed to a tortoise? My red foot has had superworms. But are there othere kinds that are edible for a tortoise?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Don't forget worms are a product of their diet ! So when you buy store bought worms they are given the least and the cheapest food possible.

richosullivan

10 Year Member!
Orlando
Don't forget worms are a product of their diet ! So when you buy store bought worms they are given the least and the cheapest food possible.

I gut load mine (like I do my crickets for my chameleon). I use Total Bites which seems work well.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Earthworms (noghtcrawlers) are best nutrition wise. Also Phoenix worms.

David Save

Chicago, IL
Do you have to feed your tortoise worms? Is there a way around it? Like maybe supplements for protein, or vegetables that will replace the worms?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Do you have to feed your tortoise worms? Is there a way around it? Like maybe supplements for protein, or vegetables that will replace the worms?
Hi David
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504911453.872160.jpg
Yes ! Yellow foots and Redfoots and Box Turtles need some protein in their diet !

SteveW

I'm a big fan of hard boiled eggs. For torts too

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My redfoot tortoise refuses live food so must get his protein from non living sources. But supplements and vegetables aren't enough.

David Save

Chicago, IL
My redfoot tortoise refuses live food so must get his protein from non living sources. But supplements and vegetables aren't enough.
So what do you do if they refuse life food, and they dont get enough from supplements and vegetables?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
So what do you do if they refuse life food, and they dont get enough from supplements and vegetables?
You can feed hard boiled egg, cooked chicken, I sometimes use this.

Attachments

• 20170830_124417.jpg
    20170830_124417.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 18

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I also use shrimp , with the shells on for calcium.

I accidentally bought some mealworms the other day. I don't like them due to their hard shells. I foolishly fed her one, and she pooped out an undigested half of a worm...! I only Want to feed her worms that are easy to digest from now on.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
My redfoots love sweet peas, champignons and hardboild eggs. Embers (the smaller one) also enjoys chicken heart. I have frozen chicken heart for my Pelomedusa variabilis, so when I fed him, I offered some to Embers and Tank Girl. Embers took to it right away, but Tank Girl (the bigger one) turns up her nose at it. I will try fresh chicken hearts when the frozen ones are all eaten. Protein can come from many sources, but for redfoots I think at least soem should come from the animal kingdom. I have sprinkled their food with gammarus and that was popular. I will also try some fish, but want to limit the amount I give them. It's fun to find out what they like to eat, but I don't want to hurt them. I also give them Versele-Laga Crispy snack fibre, because I bough some for my hamsters and the list of ingredients looked fine. They prefer that to the ZooMedd grassland pellets.

I wouldn't give them worms unless they were earthworms, because mealworms are very hard. Medusa didn't like the worms, but would eat the pupae with gusto.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I also use shrimp , with the shells on for calcium.

I accidentally bought some mealworms the other day. I don't like them due to their hard shells. I foolishly fed her one, and she pooped out an undigested half of a worm...! I only Want to feed her worms that are easy to digest from now on.
You can feed freshly molted ones of you're worried about it.