The_Four_Toed_Edward

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
I should not have to give you a monologue of my life to ask a question.
Asking questions about peoples overall set-up and their tortoises usually leads to good results, providing a good overall picture about where the poster is coming from. If we notice something we believe to be harmful we comment on that. Everyone has their own style of going about this. Depending on the situation, some styles may work, some don't.
I was merely curious if anyone here knows if those types of worms or other poop eating organisms were known to be parasitic or harmful to tortoises. If you don't have working knowledge of that or whatever, then carry the **** on man.
This is what I initially decided to do, until the discussion took a bad turn.
As stated previously, I am not so sure that I will be so willing to come back here to ask more questions.
This is not the outcome we hope for, and I am sorry for you feeling discouraged.

gingamann

New Jersey
Asking questions about peoples overall set-up and their tortoises usually leads to good results, providing a good overall picture about where the poster is coming from. If we notice something we believe to be harmful we comment on that. Everyone has their own style of going about this. Depending on the situation, some styles may work, some don't.
I fully get that and understand the point of the open dialogue. The question I had about poop eating organisms in water have literally zero to do with lighting, living arrangements, humidity, temperature.. etc etc...... The wellington person was asked politely more than once to stay on topic. I am not looking to thwart a healthy dialogue in anyway I am just looking for something specific, and aptly named the thread for this topic and as we all know like any topic, that if not kept on aim it gets lost to garbage talk.

This is what I initially decided to do, until the discussion took a bad turn.
I don't know what your experience was there, what you were aiming to do with what and what feedback from what experience those that gave the feedback have on the topic, and more importantly don't want to make assumptions.

I have a few larger concepts in mind but for right now am looking to move the water cycle to a monthly one similar to my cooter. While I work on.. other projects.

As the other person.. zero(something) stated I also don't think there is a fully self contained solution that doesn't involve cycling the water nor am trying to accomplish that. Just trying to move it from a weekly cycle to a monthly, so that all the water changes can be managed holistically.

This is not the outcome we hope for, and I am sorry for you feeling discouraged.

Me neither, this has been a great resource, frankly the only one with pretty accurate information.

Last edited:

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
I fully get that and understand the point of the open dialogue. The question I had about poop eating organisms in water have literally zero to do with lighting, living arrangements, humidity, temperature.. etc etc...... The wellington person was asked politely more than once to stay on topic. I am not looking to thwart a healthy dialogue in anyway I am just looking for something specific, and aptly named the thread for this topic and as we all know like any topic, that if not kept on aim it gets lost to garbage talk.

I don't know what your experience was there, what you were aiming to do with what and what feedback from what experience those that gave the feedback have on the topic, and more importantly don't want to make assumptions.

I have a few larger concepts in mind but for right now am looking to move the water cycle to a monthly one similar to my cooter. While I work on.. other projects.

As the other person.. zero(something) stated I also don't think there is a fully self contained solution that doesn't involve cycling the water nor am trying to accomplish that. Just trying to move it from a weekly cycle to a monthly, so that all the water changes can be managed holistically.

Me neither, this has been a great resource, frankly the only one with pretty accurate information.
Hello!
Like The Four Toed Edward I have no relevant experience so was just reading this thread. And I was somewhat unpleasantly surprised when your clear statement to stay on topic has been ignored.

Your paludarium project sounds interesting and rather complex. And if you don't mind to share some details and photos, I would be happy to learn how you set up the things. You can drop me a PM if it seems more appropriate for you.