Bird seed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oxford, Ms
Last week I took JD's advice and planted a food plot of wild bird seed inside my baby Sulcata's outdoor enclosure. A major hit! He is wearing that stuff out! All kinds of little goodies sprouted up and he loves them! :)

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
So would just any bird seeds work? Like the ones at pet stores?

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
tortle said:
So would just any bird seeds work? Like the ones at pet stores?

Yes. I got mine in Walmart. In the pets dept where the bird/rodent supply are.

Eweezyfosheezy said:
Where the heck are the pics at!!! ;) Im sure your going to have to buy more very shortly.

I wanted to post pics but the stupid thing says I'm over my 100mb. :(

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
How deep does the substrate have to be to get it to grow, if at all? I really want to try this but I am also very paranoid about losing my little guy so I keep the substrate thin enough so if he tries to burrow himself, I can still see the top of his little shell poking out.

I used organic gardening soil and it's about a half inch thick, with some thicker parts. Is that deep enough to get the bird seeds to at least grow a few sprouts here and there?

Thanks for the help and sorry for clogging your thread with my question :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
futureleopardtortoise said:
How deep does the substrate have to be to get it to grow, if at all? I really want to try this but I am also very paranoid about losing my little guy so I keep the substrate thin enough so if he tries to burrow himself, I can still see the top of his little shell poking out.

I used organic gardening soil and it's about a half inch thick, with some thicker parts. Is that deep enough to get the bird seeds to at least grow a few sprouts here and there?

I am sure that's enough. I grew seeds last winter in coconut coir. Had grass and clover growing good.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
futureleopardtortoise said:

The birdseed will grow in your half-inch depth. You're really just sprouting it anyway. Most of the plants would not be suitable as tort food in a more mature state.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
this is what mine looks like after a week. i didnt even bury it half a inch. i just threw down some bird seed and sprinkled a little organic soil over it so it was just enough to cover it and watered. this picture is a couple days old it is taller then the cinder block now. I need to trim it back.:p
7e4e41d5.jpg

568f01e1.jpg

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I did not know that you could use bird seed. So all seed is safe?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
tyguy35 said:

Wild bird seed varies widely, depending on price and which birds it is intended to attract. Really cheap brands have lots of milo, the large round seeds. The smaller round yellow seeds are millet. Milo and millet sprouts will be grass-like. There will be other seeds mixed in, such as safflower and sunflower. The label will also list the % of weed or unknown seeds. This is not important for indoor use, but could become an issue if you're using it in large areas outdoors.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
tyguy35 said:

Wild bird seed varies widely, depending on price and which birds it is intended to attract. Really cheap brands have lots of milo, the large round seeds. The smaller round yellow seeds are millet. Milo and millet sprouts will be grass-like. There will be other seeds mixed in, such as safflower and sunflower. The label will also list the % of weed or unknown seeds. This is not important for indoor use, but could become an issue if you're using it in large areas outdoors.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Thanks alot. So I I went and bought some at the store I cshoul be good to go right. Also I don't thinks we have testu mix here at all. Not to many tortoise owners so little things for them.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
:)Thank you for this post. This is a great idea. I am going to put some in my sulcata pen today

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Cecilia, Kentucky
After trying to plant some grass /weed mixes to no avail, my husband just threw down half a bag of bird seed and it's growing like crazy.
My torts love it and it's cheap!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Should we go for wild bird mixes or would pet bird seed be okay, too? I have plenty of that, since I rescued a couple of finches and bought seed for them before rehoming them :p

Status
Not open for further replies.