Biting turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikaHeartsTurtles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I've been hand feeding my turtle, and now whenever I put my hand in there to move his decorations or something, he thinks I'm food and tries to bite me. If i don't hand feed him, he doesn't see the food because hes far too busy clawing at the glass and saying "Feed me!". What should I do?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would suggest stop hand feeding him, he has got you well trained.
He will find the food.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
BTW what are you feeding him?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
No fruits or veggies. Insects are a good choice, worms and fish.

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
they absolutly love ghost shrimp, n it lets ur turts get good exersize chasing em around, if u can, catch some cuz they r free and tend to be bigger. if not then petco might have some but they can be a lil pricey there

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also, if you do like to feed him by hand :)rolleyes:) get some long worms like nightcrawlers--these can be safely (safe for your fingers) fed to your turtle...but as Captain says, they will absolutely find the food--even at the bottom of the tank....we just have to remember to be patient...I use to get all weirded out if I put the food in with my RESs if they did not see it go to the bottom because they were putting on the Shamu and Mamu show for me....lol... I eventually just said ahh the heck with it and walked away...after a little while they were cruising and one noticed a fish chunk at the bottom and they like dove live submarines straight to the bottom...found and devoured every morsel.....

I was like, what a dork I am---they sure had me around their little foot...

I do however love to feed them by hand from time to time and the nightcrawlers are great fun for them and me...I know you have a different species of turtle...but the fun is universal :D

Status
Not open for further replies.