Blizzard

Status
Not open for further replies.

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane, Washington
We're having one tonight. <shivers>

And as I was wrapping blankets and quilts around the outside of Josh's tort table to keep the drafts of my old house away, I considered how I would keep her warm if we lost power. Every ten years or so we have a nasty ice storm that puts the city in the dark.

So far I have come up with:

A) break into the pack of pocket hand warmers we use to keep little people's paws warm and line a shoe box.

or

B) move Josh into the truck camper which has propane'd power until the tanks run out.

Many of you seem to live in nice, warm, Southerly, sane areas. But for the rest of us, do you have a back up plan to keep your indoor torts warm if the electrical grid goes out?

Just for sympathy's sake, we are supposed to get -8 F tomorrow.

<shivers more>

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I live in an extremely cold place as well. My torts are all little right now, and my plan for a power outage in to wear them inside my clothes. Laugh if you want, but that's what I'd do on an emergency basis, for now.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
BURR!I am sure the cold and snow will be heading east.Im in Ohio and I think we are going to have snow by friday.It was in the 60's today!

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
Laugh if you want

I'm not laughing. It's probably more efficient than pocket warmers.

Of course, once I start shoving Spring Mix down my shirt it may get a bit itchy.

edited because I need to remember not to add code manually.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is stories like this that I am glad to live in California.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I'm in Missouri and we've had ice storms that have knocked out power for days. I had actually thought that if we lost power, I'd get together a rubbermaid tub with some of her substrate that's already warm. Then, we have gas water heaters so I would use that to my advantage and fill up some hot water bottles to put in or surround her tub. May not keep her as warm as the heat lamp but it's better than nothing. And with no power or internet (gasp) I'd have plenty of time to change out her hot water bottles! And after reading this & doing some thinking I may look for a few emergency candles ect before the weather hits us . . .

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Makes me feel bad about whinning today about our high of 55. Sorry! I do not know how you guys do it. I guess it's a toss up for all the beautiful landscapes that you have. I have, rolling brown hills, did I mention the brown hills?
I hope spring comes fast for you!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can fill up 5 gallon water jugs with hot water and stick them in the enclosure and cover the whole thing with some blankets. Just make sure you unplug all the electrical stuff in case the power comes back on in the middle of the night.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I bought one of those large generators with 110 and 220 volts and have used it several times in the last few years, cant live without heat, tv,or coffee,

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm in NY and last year we lost our electricity, so I wrapped Pio up in a hand towel, and put him inside my shirt and went to bed. That's all I could think of to do. (he never moved the whole night), and all three of my dogs slept under the blankets with me too. If anything like that happens this year I'll try the hot water bottles that Tom suggested.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Great thread to introduce. We hardly ever lose power, but we could. Now I have some ideas of what to do. Thanks guys!

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Yeah, we have lots of power outages here durring the winter and it makes it hard to sleep without my ceiling fan keeping me cool..Ha!! Aloha.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
good argument for having torts that fit your climate.. get ones that hibernate..
I have a generator just in case..

M

Maggie Cummings

We lose power regularly, I keep Hot Hands on hand just for that purpose. Or you can fill old mayo jars with hot water and wrap a towel around it. I have slept with tortoises in my bed...and had them wiggling against my body...that's not much fun.

We missed the blizzard part of the storm, it was supposed to snow but we just had a big wind and lots of pounding rain...

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
maggie3fan said:
We lose power regularly, I keep Hot Hands on hand just for that purpose. Or you can fill old mayo jars with hot water and wrap a towel around it. I have slept with tortoises in my bed...and had them wiggling against my body...that's not much fun.

We missed the blizzard part of the storm, it was supposed to snow but we just had a big wind and lots of pounding rain...

I'm laughing to myself picturing you and King Robbert III Fan in your bed, wrestling for the covers and calling each other names.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I live in the province of Quebec in Canada and our winters are cold, so I try to be as prepared as I can. I have hand warmers, 2 fireplaces (I could put the tortoises in a box near it) and I have a generator.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
We keep hand warmers. I'd put Trevor in a smallish dark container with a hand warmer and a place to get off of it. For a few days at a time they can be in the 50s and slow down without being at much risk for hibernation. We do have a fireplace too, but don't keep more than a case of logs on hand, right now less than that, so it wouldn't last us more than a day since the logs last 2-4 hours, but I guess we would ration them. I have really wanted to get a generator but can't justify the cost.

Here in the Seattle area we also are having crazy conditions. We're not expecting any more snow, but it'll be Thanksgiving before it warms up enough to even start melting the ice! Hoping we don't lose power... We'll probably get to use our emergency Mazuri & Grassland because I was going to go out today for spring mix and won't get to. Hopefully we can get out tomorrow to get Thanksgiving stuff!

scubatyler

5 Year Member
I have a wood stove in my house for heat which works great. Now days generators are pretty cheap also. you could probably find one that would run a couple of basking lamps and heat pads for $200 but it won't be the best of quality. It will last a long time if it is properly maintained though. I am from Lebanon, Oregon and there is snow on the ground and it was 22F last night and it is still 72 in my house with the wood stove going.

Status
Not open for further replies.