Bob's pool and other stuff...

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Bob is used by Corvallis Senior Dog Rescue to attract crowds who are then talked to about adopting an old dog. And believe me, Bob attracts the crowds. John and Mark showed up at my house with a big SUV and it took both of them to lift him up into the back. All the way there I could hear John, "No Bob, stop that Bob, no Bob". And I was really laughing, No Bob? Are you serious? Anyhow, as we walked Bob from the SUV to the pen they had for him we were surrounded by a large crowd who were chanting, "go Bob go Bob" very rhythmically...
Here is John putting a dog scarf on Bob...yeah right"

t0g9jb.jpg

It rained and the grass under Bob turned to mud...but Bob was game and did attract a large crowd...and John was insistent that Bob wear that scarf. There really is no good chin for a scarf on a Sulcata...John soon learned...

11ueyhg.jpg

Some of the crowd. I sure did see how the dogs reacted to Bob. They were scared and threatened by him, some growled and barked and really raised a fuss...

bezix3.jpg

All winter here in the PacificNorthWest Bob spent a lot of time in his shed. I ran a humidifier from time to time, but he really didn't drink enough. To look at him he even looks dry. So I knew as soon as I could I was going to have a soaking pool for Bob.
So last Monday I bought a pool and started my digging. I was wearing flip flops and used my one shovel and dug off and on all day Monday and Tuesday. By Wednesday I knew I was hating this project, I was walking hunched over and using a cane. So I hired a guy. He brought pails of pea gravel, 2 levels, and 3 different types of shovels. And I had one shovel and my flip flops. Ha. So in about an hour he had the correct hole dug, he said I was making it too deep. He leveled the bottom and spread the pea gravel. I was just going to have a dirt bottom, shows ya what I know. So here is the end result...Bob is sniffing it and checking it out...

255on0y.jpg

He did not exactly jump right in...I wanted to push him in like my older cousin did to me to teach me how to swim when I was 10. She pushed me into the 12 foot deep lake off the deck...

2uqdvty.jpg

He was not too excited by this new thing. And I really thought he WOULD be excited by it and act a lot happier than he was...I certainly was excited by it...

2vvpbte.jpg

And in he goes...I actually had to sit down and push him in with both of my feet. It was the only way he was going in...the jerk...

2ueifb4.jpg

So he immediately tries to get out. He's smashing the plastic door and all the water is rushing out, good thing there's all that pea gravel under the pool...

15qd7bk.jpg

It certainly is rather anticlimactic...I thought he would take a big drink...at least I hoped he would...

2cibipd.jpg

But, nope...all he did was try to climb out...

15zl7gj.jpg

He smashed the door...

ayuc93.jpg

and went back immediately to grazing...he was not in the least interested in that pool no matter how much work involved nor how much it cost me...oh well...why do I even try???

2qsxgk9.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
It's the thought that counts, You put a lot of work into it and maybe he will check it out and eventually go into it and soak...

Bob looks amazing...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cute. They never do what you want them to. :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is so funny. Why do the always know to do the opposite of what you want them to do?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
You gotta love Bob! He needs a concrete pool, LOL. Some day I want to meet Bob. Yvonne Lana hardly drinks water either so I give her squash and high water content stuff to make up for it. It must do the job because she pees a lot. I am hoping to get to soak her this weekend, it is finally going to be in the 80's.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
I have a similar pool setup for Amun. When I'd first coach him in he'd immediately go to the other side and try to climb out so I ended up cutting down the opposite side as well. Maybe Amun was nervous that he couldn't see out? He's been in a couple times now and sits there for a little while longer than he did the first time.

Seeing Bob in the pool really gives perspective of his size. When I saw him on the grass I thought maybe he was the size of Amun .. but seeing him in the pool makes me think he's nearly twice as big. How long is he? Amun is about 18 inches.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Thats awesome! Hopefully he'll want it someday...maybe when the sun is shining on it? I put a heat emitter over Trevor's enclosure water dish and he seems to use it more now. I'll stick him in it too sometimes. It must be tough with a Sulcata which you can't force soak (or even lift up)! That pool makes him look big, but next to the guy in the other thread, he looked small. Odd....

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
haha great write up ! bob most definitely looks great. one day you'll catch him soaking and you will stand there, proud and happy haha. cheers !

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
FINALLY a Bob story. Loved it! Maggie, I think you need a big cement pond for Bob. Then when it gets dirty you can just hose it clean and put new water in it. Sloped edges all around so he can get in and out. I think eventually when the weather get hot he'll appreciate his pool, and all the work you do for him.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
We have a pool too that is level with the ground and setup exactly like that. You have one large Sulcata!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
first of all.. i think you need a bigger kiddie pool,, second.. you should never dig in the dirt with flip flops! HA!
I hope you are doing ok.. and this gives me an idea for mine!

M

Maggie Cummings

FYI...Bob is just shy of 21 inches and almost 100 pounds and 13 years old...

pebblelu

5 Year Member
I've missed your Bob storys. Some day he'll love his pool.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Maggie, I think Bob and you need a nice shallow cement pool, engineered for Bob's weight and strength, allowing for 5 years of growth. It should be small and shallow enough to be easily cleaned. Get a design, get a bid. I would love to contribute to a pool worthy of Bob:)

Status
Not open for further replies.