Brackish Water Aquariums & Pufferfish

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
Someone dropped a couple GSP's
( Green Spotted Pufferfish ) off today. I was gone to a meeting , My sister claims the lady that left the fish said her kids bought them at walmart. :eek: From what I can understand they only do good in fresh water a short while :( They are maybe an inch long and adorably cute. But I only have freshwater tanks , Does anyone have advice on what I should do i don't want them to die. How do you create a brackish water tank, I'm lost . Walmart swears they are freshwater but all the reading I have done says something different.
Here's a couple not so good shots of them.

Attachments

• 1433479112247.jpg
    1433479112247.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 1433479190856.jpg
    1433479190856.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 1433479499403.jpg
    1433479499403.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 22

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Someone dropped a couple GSP's
( Green Spotted Pufferfish ) off today. I was gone to a meeting , My sister claims the lady that left the fish said her kids bought them at walmart. :eek: From what I can understand they only do good in fresh water a short while :( They are maybe an inch long and adorably cute. But I only have freshwater tanks , Does anyone have advice on what I should do i don't want them to die. How do you create a brackish water tank, I'm lost . Walmart swears they are freshwater but all the reading I have done says something different.
Here's a couple not so good shots of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraodon_nigroviridis

Every time I have seen them...they are in clean clear water.....

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Thank You. I wonder whats considered a brief time, Ive no idea how long they were in fresh water before i got them today:confused:
I'm going to check out a brackish tank ,Just curious as to how easy it would or wouldn't be to set one up :confused:. I just want them to be okay :). I've got several tanks set up but only fresh water.:eek:
Thanks Again

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have one of those in his own 29 gallon tank in my living room. He is in a brackish water tank with some Instant Ocean salt mix.
I forget what the salinity is. I think it's 0.012 ppm And they need high alkaline. (Like over 8.)
The bigger they get the more salt they require and adults need 100% salt water.
A baby under 2" will be fine for a few weeks or maybe a month or so in fully fresh water. Salt the tank very gradually over time.(And use marine salt)

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
@ ZEROPILOT I got a bottle of TOPFIN it's a Liquid Saltwater Concentrate. It's Suspose to be a liquid for of marine salt. Could I use it to gradually start adding the salt to the water? I've never done this before. Can I use a regular filter system with a brackish set up? And what size tank do you recommend?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
@ ZEROPILOT I got a bottle of TOPFIN it's a Liquid Saltwater Concentrate. It's Suspose to be a liquid for of marine salt. Could I use it to gradually start adding the salt to the water? I've never done this before. Can I use a regular filter system with a brackish set up? And what size tank do you recommend?
I honestly can't say.
I've never used it.
It might not have the trace elements in it.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Is their a way I can tell if the trace elements are in it? And what size tank are you using? Thank you so very much for all the info you've helped me with.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Also puffers are deceptively cute..... Don't keep them with anything you don't want devoured. :D

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Try it.
It seems alright then.
Do you have a hydrometer? You'll need one. Any fish store will have them. It measures the waters specific gravity. In this case, salt level.
My tank is a 29 gallon.
There is a pleco in there with him. They tolerate a little salt. They are wild here in Florida