Breed

Billna the 2

Location (City and/or State)
Smoaks sc
So I'm gonna start breeding sulcata tortoises some time, if you have any tips let me know

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be prepared to not be able to find good homes (buyers) for many, many babies.

It would be good to have two separate yards, only putting the male in the female's yard occasionally when you want them to breed. A lone male with a lone female will harass the female until she stays hidden all the time, trying to stay out of his sight. It's pretty stressful for her. A two female to one male ratio works better, and even more females works best. But that's a LOT of babies.

Be prepared to have a large closed chamber set up indoors to house the babies until you can sell them.

Learn how to ship reptiles. Your general geographical area will soon be glutted with babies and you'll have to go outside your general area to find buyers. Trade shows is a good way to sell them. Online classified sites is another - faunaclassified, etc.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
No other species interest you? Sulcata breeders are a dime a dozen and the species is overbred because of it. That's why I picked the Russians and Greeks to breed. Both of these species are threatened and usually captured from the wild and imported, so increasing the captive-bred population will help preserve their wild population. Lots of other great species that need more breeders.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I'm gonna start breeding sulcata tortoises some time, if you have any tips let me know
I recommend you don't. There are already more than enough to meet the demand, and they are just not the right tortoise for so many people. Pick a species that needs the help like Russians, which are still imported from the wild in large numbers. Or marginated which are great tortoises, but there aren't many around. Or pancakes which are super cool and reproduce very slowly.

It may help us to understand why you want to breed sulcatas. Why sulcatas?

If you are going to do it anyway, at least incubate and start the babies well. Most breeders don't. Here is how to do that: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If your just starting out in the hobby why not start with something smaller first?