Broken home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Woke up this morning to this
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378038006.638332.jpg

Not sure why it has completely pulled apart, but I'm very concerned that my very expensive custom made tortoise enclosure isn't all it was cracked up to be.

I know from other threads there are quite few handy people on here and hoped that someone could share some repair advice

P.s. in case it didn't translate I am very unimpressed with this situation and sarcasm is the defense of the foolish, so I lean it heavily lol

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
No advice here. Just sympathy. That sucks.

Ann from CT

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Ontario, Canada
Yes, I agree...you might want to talk to the sellers/manufacturers...where did you have it made?

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. Sympathy actually helps cause I so do not need this right now.

Benny is going to be in his outdoor enclosure today and a big storage bin will have to be his temp overnight tonight while the suggested aquarium silicone cures.

He was a rescue and came with the terrarium. It came from Quebec, that's all I know. I have never been able to find one like it. And the guy I got him from cant answer questions

Off to the store I go, I go...

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
So trip to Home Depot and we are here in the process of terrarium repairs
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378056349.686092.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378056369.269339.jpg

Black gorilla super thick duct tape to hold it all together while the silicon cures.

Benny is outside soaking up the sun and I'm now going to scour the forum for a temporary solution for him for the next 24 hours. But first I must pull everything from the terrarium. Ugh, damn good thing he's such a cute tort and I love him.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378058537.174488.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378058546.508230.jpg
Temporary solution for tonight?

Hoping one of the experienced keepers can advise me please?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was going to suggest some long zip ties, maybe even putting a couple long ones together to fit around the whole thing. That way you just cut them loose when you're done. With the Gorrilla tape (which I LOVE) you're going to have to be pretty careful not to pull too hard and stress the seam when you're removing it.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Well 24 hrs past and I pulled off the gorilla tape and SNAP! Seam came right apart. Ahhhhh!

Benny is now in a bigger temp box with his favourite hide and a lot of wet mulch.

I'm very worried cause he has been completely listless today. Not eating and just sucked up inside his shell hiding. He's miserable and I feel so bad for him.

Looking for some help from a buddy that is a great carpenter and hoping he will be able to offer a solution soon.

Poor Benny, I feel just terrible for him I really hope this isn't too much for him

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
If you could put wood around it to clamp it that's best. The gorilla tape will often leave sticky mostly permanent residue if stuck on things too long as well. Would try masking tape and a wood frame with clamps to hold it.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
There are small little L shaped plastic brackets you can use to secure those corners. You drill a small pilot hole and put a rivet/fastener in and ur all secure. Drill the holes ( pilot hole is important to insure that the glass piece itself will not shatter) , use some epoxy (there maybe a better glue alternative, idk) to seal up all the seams before you attach the brackets, 24 hours cure time later, i bet you its good or better than new.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

Kim444

5 Year Member
Sh3wulf said:
Thanks guys. Sympathy actually helps cause I so do not need this right now.

Benny is going to be in his outdoor enclosure today and a big storage bin will have to be his temp overnight tonight while the suggested aquarium silicone cures.

He was a rescue and came with the terrarium. It came from Quebec, that's all I know. I have never been able to find one like it. And the guy I got him from cant answer questions

Off to the store I go, I go...

You got a rescue from Quebec? I live in Montreal Quebec and can't find any rescues anywhere. Can you tell me which rescue you got him from? Please!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks all. Pretty much what my buddy said. We will have to install some brackets on all the edges. Benny is going Industrial Habitat.

He's currently resting at 85.5 degrees in his temp box in my sons room. I'm sick to death and can't stop going in to check on him and ensure he isn't too hot or getting cold.

Just want his terrarium fixed, now! I need an easy button.

And to top off my weekend I just had a run in with a total creep at the pond by my house while taking my dog for a walk, so a call to 911 and cops just left, but because he followed me home I get to keep one of the nice officers here sitting in his cruiser. (He said he would stay, as long as there were no calls/emergencies he has to tend to). I'm gonna be up all night between the two things

Anyone got a Xanax? I hear those are good for when life is kicking your backside

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
So before leaving for work, and after three days of stressing over Benny not eating, finally got him nibbling this morning. When I get home I will be able to see how much mazuri he ate.

Question: with all this habitat stress, should I stress too much about the lack of eating? Is a couple days harmful, and if so would the recommendation be to baby food soak him?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Broken home

Sh3wulf said:
Question: with all this habitat stress, should I stress too much about the lack of eating? Is a couple days harmful, and if so would the recommendation be to baby food soak him?

No I don't think you should be so stressed over it.
A couple of days or a week won't be harmful.
No need for a baby food soak.

Take a deep breath :) you'll get things fixed and squared away in no time.

Sent from my TFOapp

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
No I don't think you should be so stressed over it.
A couple of days or a week won't be harmful.
No need for a baby food soak.

Take a deep breath :) you'll get things fixed and squared away in no time.

Sent from my TFOapp

Thank you. Trying to calm myself. Actually thinking tomorrow is a sick day, as in I'm totally sick over this and need my tortoises terrarium fixed!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378434351.443627.jpg
Lets try this again! Please cross fingers, toes, eyes and anything else you can cross.
This has to work cause Benny is not happy and I am therefore not happy. Still not doing much more than nibbling and doesn't move at all. Just buries himself in the hide ):
I got him fresh hens n chicks, fescue grass and I have some great dandelions going so come Sat when everything has cured the enclosure is getting put back together, plants added and Sunday morning after his soak Benny will get to explore his new-old home

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378576737.455618.jpg IT HELD!

Each corner is now reinforced with everyone's favourite, Gorilla duct tape. I couldn't find any corner fasteners with deep edges. Didn't want to drill too close to the edge and have a whole new set of problems. So black duct tape and some creative cutting and voila, industrial looking black corner supports.

Here's a picture diary of the winter setup, including a lots of live plants, some sow beetles, two large hides and lots of moisture rich mulch and soil.

Please let me know if you spot any potential hazards or problems with my design. He's been through a lot this past week and I want to make sure I am doing right by him this winter.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378577021.023819.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378577035.290287.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378577068.706806.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378577194.707709.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378577206.139052.jpg

I'm pretty proud of my solution for keeping Benny away from that corner, and keeping pressure off of it. The live plant growing isn't edible, so I took a plant box cut it in half on two corners and secured it around the plant so Benny can't get in, plant can only go up, and corner is protected from any undo stress.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1378577108.590907.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1378577108.590907.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 43
Status
Not open for further replies.